The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Blitzkrieg
Monkey Business

Default Vertigo Mob Drama ''The Kitchen'' starring Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/me...en-1202696607/

Quote:
Melissa McCarthy will star with Tiffany Haddish in the mob drama “The Kitchen” for New Line Cinema and DC Entertainment.

“Straight Outta Compton” writer Andrea Berloff will direct from her own script, based on the comic book series by Ollie Masters and Ming Doyle from DC Entertainment’s Vertigo imprint. The movie will mark Berloff’s feature directorial debut. Michael De Luca is producing the pic.

“The Kitchen” is a classic gangster story that follows a group of Irish mobsters sent to prison. Their wives take over their jailed spouses’ organized crime operation to become the most ruthless and powerful gangsters in 1970s Hell’s Kitchen.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Blitzkrieg
Monkey Business

Default Re: Vertigo Mob Drama ''The Kitchen'' starring Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish

Tiffany Haddish was great in Girls Trip. I'm glad she landed this gig. Looking forward to the rest of the casting choices and I hope this'll be good.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Default Re: Vertigo Mob Drama ''The Kitchen'' starring Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish

Sounds interesting but Melissa McCarthy is one of those performers I cannot watch in anything.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Blitzkrieg
Monkey Business

http://deadline.com/2018/02/melissa-...ff-1202287146/

Quote:
The film is an uncommon one for a major studio: a gritty drama directed by a female filmmaker, with three strong female leads in the anti-hero roles.
Quote:
The Kitchen is an Irish mafia story set in Hell’s Kitchen, New York in the 1970s.

An FBI sweep catches mob leaders, and while they are under arrest and their criminal enterprise is jeopardized, the mob wives take over. They end up running the illicit business in more vicious fashion than their husbands ever did.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
David H.
Side-Kick

Immediately thought of Steve McQueen’s Widows, which is out later this year.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
Immediately thought of Steve McQueen’s Widows, which is out later this year.
Is that anything to do with this Widows (as in remake/inspired by)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085111/?ref_=rvi_tt

Quote:
"Three armed robbers, Harry Rawlins, Terry Miller and Joe Pirelli, die when the security van that they are robbing catches fire in the Kingsway Tunnel in London. Their widows, Dolly Rawlins, Shirley Miller and Linda Pirelli, find their husbands' plans for the robbery and decide to stage it themselves. They enlist the help of a fourth woman, Bella O'Reilly and succeed in making off with the cash. Then Dolly learns that her husband didn't die in the robbery. And now he wants his money back..."
Because that's what it made me think of straight away.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
geetard
Rebirth

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516029

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
ThatOneWolfDude
Side-Kick

This is technically A DC Film right?

ThatOneWolfDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Guts
My love for you

It's based on a Vertigo comic and Vertigo is an imprint of DC comics.

Speaking for myself; I have less love for Lord of the Rings lore than I do for Star Wars. LotR franchise to me is an allegory for white men fighting their crack addiction, nothing more.
Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #10
Pennywise
Side-Kick

The plot sounds very intriguing, but Melissa McCarthy in a drama?! Hopefully, she can surprise people!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote