The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #651
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
That's the issue with Lemar no doubt, he is mainly a LW player these days, although he has played across the 3 roles behind the striker. Lingard is suposed to provide the pacey, direct option on the RW but he is so lacking in productivity, I honestly don't think he'd have gotten a new contract if he was English, from the Academy and best buds with Pogba and Rashford, he feels like the team mascot at times.
Yeah, Lemar just seems to be a copy of a player type we've got two of already, the same with Draxler. Lingard, unfortunately, I'd have to agree on. I like the kid's approach and everything but he's more of a mid table team player and not quite what we need if we're going to really compete.

Quote:
Well it was pleasing to see us go for the game yesterday, and even when we brought the mop on we still were on the front foot and looking to counter with numbers rather than sit off.
That appears to be the biggest adjustment this season so far, psychologically the first goal seems to egg the team on instead of pacifying them and making them defend a 1-0 lead. These would've been games that we struggled with last season and we're putting them to bed well from these two examples.

Quote:
He got a couple of quality assists again yesterday and he's good on the counter, he just needs to offer more when we are facing a packed defense for me, he needs to beat the pressure more often when things are tight, but it's been a solid start.
His assists were impressive yesterday, yeah. I don't think he'll go beyond 20 goals in all competitions but he can definitely contribute from midfield, he's often in dangerous positions. I'd agree when things are more closed off he'll need to improve his contribution, but he's doing well so far.

Quote:
He showeed good discipline yesterday after he got the yellow, he was influential in midfield and then devastating on the counter when he was pushed further forward, his finish was class and showed his confidence is high.
I only saw the yellow in replays but I'm glad he cooled off, the second half definitely seemed to present opportunities where he could've got a second. I'm excited to see him closer to goal, it's clear he's got the ability to put away a lot more chances than he did last season.

Quote:
I'm hoping the only reason he's first on when Mourinho switches from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 is because Herrera is still not fully fit after the minor strain he got on the US tour, as Mourinho has always liked that switch, he did it all the time at Real Madrid with Ozil off and an extra CM on in the last 15 minutes to close the game out, and that's ok as long as we still counter with 4 and Herrera is the CM rather than the turd.
I suspect it might be to ease Herrera in, yeah, especially since Matic and Pogba appear to be some of the fittest in the squad right now. I could also see Mourinho planning to use a player like Herrera far more intensively come November/December when the fixtures really start piling up and wanting to keep him fresh in "smaller" games.

Quote:
Dembele has made his position at Dortmund practically untenable, packing his bags and going back to France to await the transfer going through is a disgrace.
It's a little galling to see, but we're solidly in the era where players know they've got clubs by the throat. Clubs need players now, not the other way around, which presents a bit of a problem. If you're not a Barcelona/Bayern/PSG/Real there's no way of protecting your players really, unless they're actually loyal.

Quote:
It's madness right now, I think part of why City want him is he's experienced in the PL and he meets the homegrown quota, something City are a bit short on with their squad, but £40M for him is just nuts.
Yep, PL proven quality is at a shortage right now, and the home grown thing plays a large role, same as with Fabian Delph whenever it was. Still astounding though, yeah.

DeadPresident is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #652
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Maybe they will win. But what have they done to combat our size and strength?
That's gonna be a bigger advantage for you this year with the additional signings you've made. You are favourites to win, I just think that this has the potential to be a sterner test than your first 2 games. If you score first though anything could happen given how much better you have looked on the counter.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #653
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That's gonna be a bigger advantage for you this year with the additional signings you've made. You are favourites to win, I just think that this has the potential to be a sterner test than your first 2 games. If you score first though anything could happen given how much better you have looked on the counter.
I definitely agree it will be more of a test. Leicester still got that counter attack. Heck, they can win. But I also feel like this could be a styles match up that might favor us to the point that we might just win "easier".

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #654
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Yeah Mata has the brain, can keep hold of position and play nice one twos and everything but he hasnt got the pace of old to really hurt teams like he once did. I can see why Jose may want more of a winger type, someone who can beat a player but then also deliver the final product. Rashford and Martial can at times do both but at others are extremely wasteful.

Draxler isnt someone i have seen a lot of other than for Germany really. He can be decent and turn a game but then at others seems to go up blind alleys and keep hold of the ball when he really should pass it, yeah I think his youth would be just another Martial/Rashford where as we need a more established name like a Bale/Perisic who knows the game a little better who is in their prime. The last few days of the window are going to be frantic for some clubs with some big names still yet to move so we might see United do a bit more activity yet.
Yeah, Mata has the approach and experience, just not the physical elements. I do think Mourinho prefers physically capable players across the pitch, if he can manage it.

You and BB both make relatively decent points in regard to Draxler, particularly in regard to his youth. Although I do remember him playing from the right a bit for Wolfsburg, but it seems he's adopted the left sided cutting in role now at PSG. Age/experience probably is a big factor, we've got enough inconsistent youth, whoever the additional attacker is should be closer to the 25-28 range than 23ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
While this is a fair point given the way Draxler went about securing a move away from Wolfsburg, I think there's also a decent argument to be a made that he's maturing as a player, given the fact that Jogi Low made him captain of the young German team which won the Confed Cup earlier this summer. Didn't get to see any of the games, except highlights, but it seemed like he had a couple of very mature performances where he made a difference and took responsibility, so it seems like he's more a player in the Lukaku mould, who just wants a bigger stage and the confidence to showcase his talents.

He'd be an interesting option, but he's also a left-sider who likes to cut inside, so given the make-up of our squad in that particular sector I'm not sure he'd make all that much sense, all things considered. I also can't see him tracking back, which Mourinho is obsessed with.
I agree about his move away, even though I think a couple more seasons with Wolfsburg wouldn't have been the worst for him, especially seeing as he's just been usurped at PSG and the grass isn't currently greener there for him.

His age, positioning, and work ethic all seem to be things that don't make him a fit for Mourinho, though, but he'd be a decent squad option, and at the risk of sounding cruel it would be better to have him on the bench than Lingard for example. I'd probably agree with Hunter, though, we'll likely postpone any further signings at least until January but probably until next summer.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #655
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I definitely agree it will be more of a test. Leicester still got that counter attack. Heck, they can win. But I also feel like this could be a styles match up that might favor us to the point that we might just win "easier".
True, playing their usual way might not be enough. If Vardy doesn't make it then they could lose their edge too. Still very early in the season but 3 points and you will start building some real confidence and momentum.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #656
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Fekir with a halfway line arrow.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #657
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post

Fekir with a halfway line arrow.
That is one the most accurate strikes I've seen of this type of goal, the ball stays low longer than is usual on this type of goal.

Old Today, 02:53 AM   #658
Iceman
Infinity War!

I'll be interested to see how Everton get on at City tonight. Both teams have a fair amount of new guys and City will likely have to fight for their points. If Everton get something out of this it would be a good sign of progress.

Old Today, 02:45 PM   #659
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Even when wearing Everton blue Rooney still has United's cause in his heart, bless him. Everton 1-0 up, Rooney scores.

Old Today, 02:53 PM   #660
Iceman
Infinity War!

Big chance of the points here with the red card.

Old Today, 02:56 PM   #661
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Yeah, that second yellow seems extremely harsh. It's a foul because Walker identifies where the opposing player is and barges into him a bit but it doesn't seem like a yellow at all.

The first was a yellow just because of how reckless it was despite the lack of contact, could've injured Baines quite badly had he made contact at knee height.

Old Today, 03:05 PM   #662
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah, these decisions are always consistent. Players should be super-careful after a yellow though as there's always a chance of getting a bad decision.

Sterling brought on at half time.

Old Today, 03:33 PM   #663
Iceman
Infinity War!

Sterling skies another lol.

Old Today, 03:42 PM   #664
Iceman
Infinity War!

Finally Sterling puts one in and it was a solid volley after a bad mistake by Everton. 10 man City coming back! 8 minutes left.

Old Today, 03:46 PM   #665
DarthSkywalker

Everton are getting swarmed by ten men.

Old Today, 03:46 PM   #666
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah they should be doing better right now.

Old Today, 03:48 PM   #667
Iceman
Infinity War!

10 vs 10 now. Schneiderlin off.

Old Today, 03:48 PM   #668
DarthSkywalker

Well that was foolish. Now 10 v 10.

Old Today, 03:49 PM   #669
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Aguero playing the ref like a cheap piano there.

Old Today, 03:49 PM   #670
Iceman
Infinity War!

They showed a replay and there was no contact. But like I said above players should be more careful when they're on a yellow. If you go diving in and get the ball cleanly but you're at the wrong angle for the ref and it looks like you made contact you can be off.

Old Today, 03:54 PM   #671
Iceman
Infinity War!

Final score 1-1.

Old Today, 04:24 PM   #672
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Yeah, very little contact for the second yellow for Schneiderlin. This kind of balances it out, both reds were extremely questionable. Good display from Everton though, they're going to be a tough team to visit this season it looks like.

Great weekend for United, they're the only top 6 side with maximum points and a relatively reasonable set of opening fixtures, hopefully they continue their dominance.

This coming weekend has Arsenal visiting Anfield which could be a cracker, Lacazette's first opportunity to play in a charged and high profile fixture.

Old Today, 04:40 PM   #673
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah good for Utd and more points to be dropped by either Arsenal or Liverpool. They've looked the best so far but of course still very early days. Lot of teams who still could do with more transfer window business.