The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #301
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I assume Comcast would pay that fee for FOX if this happened.
Yeah, it ain't comin' out of Rupert's wallet.

So long as the Murdoch family and their 40% of the Class B voting shares continue to support the Disney buy out, it's hard to see how Comcast gets back into the picture. Especially since Brian L Roberts and his 33% share of Comcast Class B voting shares will keep Rupert and the boys from exercising any influence over Cabletown if they sell their entertainment assets to him. I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast's re-entry has to do with bogged down negotiations over James' role at Disney post sale.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #302
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Andre Braugher, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell, Toby Kebbell and Reg E. Cathey are all talented actors who could probably fit somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Reg E Cathey just died unfortunately. So he won't be playing in the MCU now.
Rather belated to bring this up but better late than never: Cathey is already in the MCU. He played Cage's father in Season 2 of Luke Cage prior to his passing . It's his last role.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 02-13-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #303
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Yeah, it ain't comin' out of Rupert's wallet.

So long as the Murdoch family and their 40% of the Class B voting shares continue to support the Disney buy out, it's hard to see how Comcast gets back into the picture. Especially since Brian L Roberts and his 33% share of Comcast Class B voting shares will keep Rupert and the boys from exercising any influence over Cabletown if they sell their entertainment assets to him. I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast's re-entry has to do with bogged down negotiations over James' role at Disney post sale.
James really covets a top executive position at Disney. He and Lachlan have mismanaged Newscorp into numerous scandals, causing him to seek fresh territory to soil. Frankly, I think that Disney's execs should treat James and the rest of his shady clan like the vipers they are. But in that business, aren't they all snakes?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #304
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Conan View Post
Rather belated to bring this up but better late than never: Cathey is already in the MCU. He played Cage's father in Season 2 of Luke Cage prior to his passing . It's his last role.
Good to know that he was able to have a real Marvel role before he died.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #305
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
James really covets a top executive position at Disney. He and Lachlan have mismanaged Newscorp into numerous scandals, causing him to seek fresh territory to soil. Frankly, I think that Disney's execs should treat James and the rest of his shady clan like the vipers they are. But in that business, aren't they all snakes?
Especially a guy who’s only an exec in the first place because of his dad.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #306
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Not the biggest fan of Campea but his analysis is quite cogent and on-point.
Campea makes the most important point at the 1:36 mark where he debunks the delusional myth that some have that the rights would revert even if Comcast buys out Fox. Sorry folks it doesn't work that way!

Last edited by Detective Conan; 02-14-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #307
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:

Campea makes the most important point at the 1:36 mark where he debunks the delusional myth that some have that the rights would revert even if Comcast buys out Fox. Sorry folks it doesn't work that way!
Did that video inspire you to subscribe to Jon Campea's channel?

I bet Willie Lumpkin leapt to his computer to sign up as soon as he heard Campea's voice!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #308
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:

I bet Willie Lumpkin leapt to his computer to sign up as soon as he heard Campea's voice!
As soon as I saw the name, I knew there was no point in clicking.

He's so dumb, even if he does make a good point, it's just a blind squirrel catching a nut.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #309
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:

When do fox have to make an ff film by, out of interest? Before the rights revert anyway.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #310
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
When do fox have to make an ff film by, out of interest? Before the rights revert anyway.
I think the deadline was seven years(someone correct me if I'm wrong). So around 2022, I guess?

Edit: Using the timeline for how the reboot got made(it was announced two years after Silver Surfer in 2009-Coindentally it is also the year Disney bought Marvel). Fox should've gotten the wheels in motion for a proper FF movie by now but after the last disaster-piece came and shat the bed they're definitely gun-shy about pulling the trigger on another film about the First Family since they'd likely suffer a pretty nasty financial bullet again. Even if Comcast ends up purchasing Fox instead of the Mouse, unless Fox gets a director as prolific as Cameron on board who's name alone could put butt in seats, then Fox losing the FF rights is an inevitability.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 02-17-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #311
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Try as they may, Comcast just isn't going to wrestle Fox away from Disney. The Murdoch's want to have influence, and the stake in the Disney juggernaut is just too much long term valuation to turn down vs. shorter term gains. It (likely) just won't happen. The fact of the matter is they stand to make more, a lot more, over a longer period of time with Disney than they would upfront with Comcast, and its painfully obvious that the breakup and sale of 21st Century Fox is a long term play.

The other thing is that Comcast knows they are shakier ground, but with AT&T leading the charge they are emboldened to make waves this way. The truth however is that Comcast doesn't want AT&T to succeed in its acquisition of Time Warner. Not only because that would allow them to take a crack at Time Warner themselves, but because they realize that AT&T would leverage those assets in ways that Comcast cannot, such as in the Mobile market or its 2x Cable TV distribution offerings. There is no way the AT&T/Time Warner deal gets approved without significant divestments, which AT&T won't accept. That's chiefly why they got Time Warner to agree to such a low breakup fee.

If Comcast does get an opportunity to go after Time Warner, they could do something significant, maybe even crazy. Like spinoff their TV subscription service. A business that Comcast has been pretty desperate to wean themselves off of.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #312
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

My understanding is that Comcast already bid higher than Disney and FOX still turned them down in favor of Disney. What would make Comcast think they could make themselves more attractive as a buyer to FOX after they already entered into an agreement with Disney?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:50 AM   #313
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
I'm nearly certain they would need to be in full production in 2022.

Meaning that, in the unlikely event Comcast buys them, they will need to be moving full-speed ahead with an FF film around the time Comcast would be finalizing their purchase.

Considering the history of the franchise and sentiment of people like us, I find it hard to believe Comcast would charge ahead with a film no one wants as one of their first actions.

In my mind, any sale is good, because no one can be as dumb as Fox.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #314
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
My understanding is that Comcast already bid higher than Disney and FOX still turned them down in favor of Disney. What would make Comcast think they could make themselves more attractive as a buyer to FOX after they already entered into an agreement with Disney?
It's a strategy of putting more pressure on the Murdoch's to force to them to entertain a higher office by letting the other investors know that a higher bid exists.

It's all reactive to the potential of the AT&T/Time Warner deal getting regulatory approval as is. If the deal passes (IMHO, not likely) Comcast will really be in a bind if Fox presses forward with combining with Disney. Comcast would then be under a great deal of pressure to combine with another entity, and it really is slim pickings. FAANG is such a major threat to the established media companies that the Big 6 are all being forced into making significant deals. CBS+Viacom are also now already looking into (re)combining as well, and there is whispers via the Redstones that Verizon may be interested in that combined entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I'm nearly certain they would need to be in full production in 2022.

Meaning that, in the unlikely event Comcast buys them, they will need to be moving full-speed ahead with an FF film around the time Comcast would be finalizing their purchase.

Considering the history of the franchise and sentiment of people like us, I find it hard to believe Comcast would charge ahead with a film no one wants as one of their first actions.

In my mind, any sale is good, because no one can be as dumb as Fox.
Yeah, Comcast's interest lies more in the foreign assets since domestic TV is really a shrinking market. Like Disney Comcast really wants to go toward OTT service but they need a lot more content. They also want to have content that they can leverage in their theme park business, which is expanding very rapidly. While they currently have the Marvel rights east of the Mississippi, they can't update the IP beyond the 90's versions. So holding onto those rights if they got Fox makes even less sense strategically. FF would be something they would likely dish to Disney for $$$.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #315
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Sony could've owned almost every Marvel character for only 25 Million at one point!

Sony wouldn’t be able to accomplish what Marvel Studios has done if they had a lot of the rights to Marvel characters. If one thinks about it, they failed miserably with Ghost Rider both times and actually If memory serves, according to Variety, they once had the rights to Doctor Strange(which is why you could get that obscure reference to Strange in Spider-Man 2). My guess, if it were to happen in an alternate universe, is Sony wouldn’t take a chance for any of the other lesser-known Marvel characters like Ant-Man or Black Panther(mostly focusing on Spider-Man instead) and a lot of those rights that they could own would’ve just reverted to Marvel regardless like Ghost Rider since they wouldn’t feel incensed to pull the green-light trigger on them or they probably would’ve make weaker, under-preforming flicks that they wouldn’t bother making sequels to.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 02-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #316
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Sorry for the double post but the only mistake-in-hindsight decision in Hollywood history that comes close to what Sony did was Fox giving Lucas rights to the Star Wars sequels and merchandising before they knew that Star Wars was going hit it as big as it did. They thought at the time, Star Wars was going to flop so any rights tied to it would've felt worthless.

How different everything could've been.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 02-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #317
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Sony can't even do things right with just one property at the moment in the form of Spider-Man. They do seem to be trying to take a chance on lesser-known properties though with every Spidey spin-off character. I didn't want to see a Venom film or a Silver and Black film. I don't care for the Sinister Six either. Let's hope that is dead.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #318
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
Before the news broke that Mr. Murdoch had agreed to sell vast parts of his 21st Century Fox to the Walt Disney Company for $52.4 billion, Mr. Trump called him to get his assurance that the Fox News Channel, the highly rated cable network and frequent bullhorn of the Trump agenda, would not be affected.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...st-media-play/

Interesting read/series of events. Trump could be a major reason why the deal gets approved quickly.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #319
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Talk about dodging a bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...st-media-play/

Interesting read/series of events. Trump could be a major reason why the deal gets approved quickly.
Not necessarily. The remaining assets (Fox News included) could just as easily be spun off of 21st Century Fox (and later merged in with News Corp) with or without the rest being acquired by Disney.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #320
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bang View Post
Talk about dodging a bullet.
I think you guys will really enjoy more revelations from the Wall Street Journal article.

Quote:
Marvel, sensing an opportunity to undo a deal it had long hated, pounced. Mr. Feige met with then-Sony motion picture chief Amy Pascal for lunch in the summer of 2014 and pitched her on letting Marvel produce the next Spider-Man movie. Ms. Pascal was so offended that she threw her sandwich at him and told him, only half-jokingly, to “get the f--- out.
Wow!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bla...ade-1518703200

Old 02-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #321
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
I think you guys will really enjoy more revelations from the Wall Street Journal article.

Wow!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bla...ade-1518703200
Yeah, she’s a goofball.

I think once Disney gets 100% of a Spider-man within the next 4/5 years tops (just what I believe) Pascal I feel will be done.

I really think LSD will work with Fiege well on the X-Men franchise and I think she will have a spot, but Pascal doesn’t bring anything significant to the table IMO where Marvel would keep her.

Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=A,Avengers:Infinity War=A, Ant-man & the Wasp=?, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #322
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
Yeah, she’s a goofball.

I think once Disney gets 100% of a Spider-man within the next 4/5 years tops (just what I believe) Pascal I feel will be done.

I really think LSD will work with Fiege well on the X-Men franchise and I think she will have a spot, but Pascal doesn’t bring anything significant to the table IMO where Marvel would keep her.
Why does Feige need to take LSD? Surely the job can't be getting to him that much that he needs it to cope when it comes to the X-Men?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #323
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Why does Feige need to take LSD? Surely the job can't be getting to him that much that he needs it to cope when it comes to the X-Men?
It’s not a thing of needing. They get along, she gave him his first break, as much as she could, she tried to be a team player.

Yeah I can see it.

EDIT I get it. I’m a goofball.

Excuse me, I’m tired. I worked later last night, woke up and I’ve been running around doing stuff and getting ready to see Black Panther.

Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=A,Avengers:Infinity War=A, Ant-man & the Wasp=?, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?

Last edited by Tymminator; 02-15-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I’m slow today. LoL.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #324
Marvel united
Avenger

I'm not sure I want LSD influence on the new franchise tbh

Old 02-16-2018, 04:14 AM   #325
Crimz
Side-Kick

After watching Black Panther Fox fans can no longer say that Marvel can only do comedies. Marvel would do amazing X-Films.

Closed Thread