The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 AM   #26
Lorus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone else fed up with Whedon's complaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Joss Whedon didnt complain about squat. He has always been candid about the behind the scenes negotiations and sacrifices with producers. During his work in Buffy he always said very similar things about the fights and negotiations with the network or bosses while he was still working with the same people for next season. It never felt malicious, mostly because he also has always been very sincere about his own mistakes and shortcomings and because he has always admited that you need to keep the people with the money happy without selling your soul.

The same time he was saying all this, he was saying he hoped to keep working with Marvel cause he loved these guys. This is nothing new coming from him. Listen to his Buffy audio commentaies. Its just so unusual for a director to be this candid taht it seems more than it really is.

And believe me, he has complained about things before, sometimes, in my view, rightly so, sometimes not so rightly and not very profesionally. But this, in my opinion, knowing his public persona track, aint one of them. This is just honesty without malice, wich is refreshing.
Nail, head, etc. All this talk of Whedon complaining is nonsense. All he did was honestly mention the give and take of the studio process in one interview (unless people can point me to more) which was relevant to the question asked. Whedon's been nothing but courteous toward Marvel and he'll likely continue to enjoy a good relationship with them in the future.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #27
eddy
Make Mine Marvel

lol, what a stupid topic. "Whedon won't get any more work" Um. last time I checked AOS was renewed for a 3rd season and Whedon is a very prominent producer on that show. That is a paycheck right there and if he wants to he can walk into the writers' room any time he wants and put out a script for a episode.

If Whedon wasn't locked into a 3 year contract with Marvel that prohibited him from doing anything else we most likely would have seen another project from him by now. I would not be surprised if Whedon announces a new project(most likely a internet series) at comic con during his panel.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

At the time I was like "Dear Joss: You've just helmed every fanboy's wet dream - twice. And you crossed a billion dollars doing it - twice. You've likely got more money than I'll see in ten lifetimes. You know how the system works. Please stop whining."

Looking back now he still sounds a little *****y but people often do when they're tired and irritable (except myself - all the rest of you tho, yeesh) but it's not like he's still going on tirades so whatever.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #29
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Whedon had a long, exhausting, stressful experience making this movie. He expressed it, and has moved on. So no, I'm not fed up with him. He gave us two of the best movies in the genre. I'll forever appreciate him for that.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #30
Keehar
Banned User

Nah I respect him for saying how hard it was and the probs he has with it.

Keehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #31
marvellover
Side-Kick

Joss Whedon has nobody to blame but himself
He's the writer and director of this film,and he knows his latest Marvel movie is a big disappointment in both critic reviews and box office
He cant escape from the hate and blame it to the studio

Thank god Civil War and both Avengers 3&4 have nothing with him

marvellover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #32
First Avenger
Side-Kick

He gets no hate from me,I think AoU is better than A1.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #33
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
If Whedon wasn't locked into a 3 year contract with Marvel that prohibited him from doing anything else we most likely would have seen another project from him by now.
He directed the excellent Much Ado About Nothing between Avengers and AOU.
And when it comes to the subject at hand I'm actually glad that there are people like Whedon to openly talk about their experience outside of the usual PR BS while still staying respectful.

1: The Dark Knight - 2: Captain America Civil War - 3: The Avengers - 4: Batman Mask Of The Phantasm - 5: Captain America The Winter Soldier - 6: Black Panther 7: Kick-Ass - 8: Batman Begins - 9: Iron Man - 10: V For Vendetta
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #34
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Whedon gets only respect and love from me.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #35
OcStat
Side-Kick

I agree that AoU is a more entertaining and rewarding film than the first.

I wonder how many people remember Joss Whedon is one of the only (if not the only) writers/directors in the MCU to contribute to the actual Marvel canon with his excellent Astonishing X-Men run. If that was a movie it would blow any Fox film out of the water, no contest. He knows the Marvel tone, style, the characters. Admittedly I haven't seen any of his other work to say how much "Whedonism" he imposes on the Avengers, but the truth is, any creator is going to do so. It's just another perfect translation from comic to film.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #36
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

All I know is that Joss Whedon is overrated as a director and I've never really been impressed with his work.

I'll leave out my criticisms of his other work, but as for his contributions to the MCU. Well, I thought Avengers was okay. The action and effects were alright and much better than any Michael Bay crap any day of the week. But nothing really spectacular. What really lifts the movie is Tom Hiddleston's fantastic performance as Loki. Age of Ultron though was a bit of a mess. Too many plot threads to follow and the humor was dialed in too far that it threatened overwhelm the dramatic beats they were going for. But the biggest disappointment though was the titular villain himself. I'm sorry, but a villainous AI with a snarky bent doesn't really make a compelling antagonist for me. Ultron at times looked like an idiot didn't really come off as menacing (I also dislike the fact that Whedon recycled a plot from his Astonishing X-Men run. Doesn't Ultron remind anyone of Danger?).

I'll give the guy props for successfully bringing the Avengers together successfully on film. But going forward I'd like someone else to the reins, as I'm getting real tired of Whedon's shtick. So color me glad that the Russo Brothers are doing Infinity War.

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #37
Lorus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvellover View Post
Joss Whedon has nobody to blame but himself
He's the writer and director of this film,and he knows his latest Marvel movie is a big disappointment in both critic reviews and box office
He cant escape from the hate and blame it to the studio

I love the deranged, myopic attitudes of fans on the hype. AOU has made more money than any MCU film barring the record smashing goliath that was Whedon's first Avengers. Not to mention good critical reviews (better than Jurassic World, which was an unbridled success by anyone's estimation). Of course, this on the hype translates somehow into Whedon trying to 'escape the hate from his huge disappointment'. Priceless. Hey, he has nobody to blame but himself, right? Behind the scenes executives are famous for their unobtrusive presences and flawless understanding of storytelling, right?

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #38
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Whedon's always been candid about the behind-the-scenes struggles w/ studios and networks. You can call it complaining or you can call it honestly, but that's just the way he is and has always been, ever since he was "important" enough to give interviews in the first place.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #39
Keehar
Banned User

Quote:

Man you talk like he made two lousy Avengers movies.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #40
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
I love the deranged, myopic attitudes of fans on the hype. AOU has made more money than any MCU film barring the record smashing goliath that was Whedon's first Avengers. Not to mention good critical reviews (better than Jurassic World, which was an unbridled success by anyone's estimation). Of course, this on the hype translates somehow into Whedon trying to 'escape the hate from his huge disappointment'. Priceless. Hey, he has nobody to blame but himself, right? Behind the scenes executives are famous for their unobtrusive presences and flawless understanding of storytelling, right?
LOL!

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #41
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah and if the current MCU darlings the Russo brothers stumble at all, I can't wait to see how the fanboys throw them to the wolves just like they've been doing with Whedon lately. SMH

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #42
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
Whedon gets only respect and love from me.
Seconded.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #43
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Yeah and if the current MCU darlings the Russo brothers stumble at all, I can't wait to see how the fanboys throw them to the wolves just like they've been doing with Whedon lately. SMH
This. Also, we have no idea whether the Russo's will be able to handle an ensemble piece. Balancing out all of these different personalities and characters (like Whedon was able to do in both Avengers movies) is much harder than simply doing a solo movie. The Russo's have given us a great Cap solo movie, but that's it so far.

The Russo's have certainly proved themselves to be very capable, and I am really looking forward to Civil War and Infinity Wars, but let's wait and see what happens first before making sweeping statements based on one movie.

Lastly, the recent condemnation of Whedon has happened before with nearly every superhero movie series. Jon Favreau and Sam Raimi are two other examples of "fanboy darlings" who faltered and were ripped to shreds. It even happened to Nolan (albeit to a much lesser degree) with TDKR. Bryan Singer had better watch out, because if Apocalypse isn't as well received as DoFP...

Last edited by Fosterson; 07-09-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #44
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post

Lastly, the recent condemnation of Whedon has happened before with nearly every superhero movie series. Jon Favreau and Sam Raimi are two other examples of "fanboy darlings" who faltered and were ripped to shreds. It even happened to Nolan (albeit to a much lesser degree) with TDKR. Bryan Singer had better watch out, because if Apocalypse isn't as well received as DoFP...
Great point. I'll never understand the fan backlash on Raimi. If he did nothing else ever again he deserves eternal gratitude for the greatness of Spider-Man 2. (I'm sure some Spidey purists will argue that point but to me it's one of the best CBMs ever.) It's a shame he never got to redeem himself with Spider-Man 4. Instead fanboy complaining brought us the ASM travesties.

Singer actually already was in the doghouse after Superman Returns but he is in back in favor at the moment after DOFP. Basically it's all very: "What have you done for me lately?"

Old 07-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #45
Keehar
Banned User

Quote:
Yep and say they should never have let Whedon go.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #46
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh

Quote:
Great point. I'll never understand the fan backlash on Raimi. If he did nothing else ever again he deserves eternal gratitude for the greatness of Spider-Man 2. (I'm sure some Spidey purists will argue that point but to me it's one of the best CBMs ever.) It's a shame he never got to redeem himself with Spider-Man 4. Instead fanboy complaining brought us the ASM travesties.

Singer actually already was in the doghouse after Superman Returns but he is in back in favor at the moment after DOFP. Basically it's all very: "What have you done for me lately?"
I'm a Spidey purist, and I'm right there with you with it being one of the best All time CBMs.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #47
Keehar
Banned User

Too right. Spider-Man 2 is one of the greats.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #48
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:

Of course it is. I guarantee you that if Thor Ragnarok is well received, people who are currently hating on the first two films will suddenly decide that they enjoyed them after all. Opinions of CBM franchises change on a dime.

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #49
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
Of course it is. I guarantee you that if Thor Ragnarok is well received, people who are currently hating on the first two films will suddenly decide that they enjoyed them after all. Opinions of CBM franchises change on a dime.
You know it. Same thing happened with Cap's First Avenger and even the X-Men films. After DOFP suddenly The Last Stand and Borigins weren't that bad after all.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #50
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_The_Frog View Post
I'm a Spidey purist, and I'm right there with you with it being one of the best All time CBMs.
Such a great flick. That film actually made me a Spider-Man fan.