The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #51
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

are there any metrics on how popular or unpopular The Defenders was?

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #52
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Netflix doesn't get any benefit from giving viewership numbers, so they don't give them.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #53
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
are there any metrics on how popular or unpopular The Defenders was?
I don't know about metrics, but Defenders could have been a lot better than it was. It wasn't trash, but I did have higher expectations for it as a series; bringing the four together, their interactions, and the threat they faced. I don't know, I just didn't get that epic feeling I was expecting to get from it.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #54
Blackman
C'mon Son

Not surprised Netflix isn't getting a second season. It was supposed to be the culmination of all the Netflix MCU series' and it didn't really make waves. Critically or among fans. The solo series have all had more success in at least 1 way. So it makes sense that they aren't moving forward

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #55
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Well, who or what could be an antagonist with a force or power large enough that would require all of the street heroes to band together again?
There are tons of characters they can draw from and reinvent, there's also a current comic book with the same cast of characters that could be a source of possibility. I know before the Hand was announced I wanted to see the Hood creating a criminal cult with magic. Not powerful enough to attract Dr Strange's attention but enough to be formidable against the Defenders. I also had the idea that the Hood would use a spell to capture and put under his control Ghost Rider, which would be revealed at the end of the second to last episode, making the finale be the Defenders vs Ghost Rider. Doesn't have to be a villain compelling enough for a full season or a series, just fun enough for a few episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Netflix doesn't get any benefit from giving viewership numbers, so they don't give them.
Yeah, all there is out there is estimations by other people. I know this forum discussed one article that said it was the lowest viewed of the Marvel shows, I also remember a list that said it was in the top five most binged Netflix shows for that year. So who really knows. The fact that Kristen Ritter hasn't had conversations about it is pretty telling, very least they have to make sure she's available.

Still I find it tough to believe that Defenders is canceled, I mean if Iron Fist can get a season 2 I don't see why Defenders can't. It could be they want a longer wait between seasons, but at the very least it looks like it's not happening anytime soon.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #56
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
There are tons of characters they can draw from and reinvent, there's also a current comic book with the same cast of characters that could be a source of possibility. I know before the Hand was announced I wanted to see the Hood creating a criminal cult with magic. Not powerful enough to attract Dr Strange's attention but enough to be formidable against the Defenders. I also had the idea that the Hood would use a spell to capture and put under his control Ghost Rider, which would be revealed at the end of the second to last episode, making the finale be the Defenders vs Ghost Rider. Doesn't have to be a villain compelling enough for a full season or a series, just fun enough for a few episodes.

Yeah, all there is out there is estimations by other people. I know this forum discussed one article that said it was the lowest viewed of the Marvel shows, I also remember a list that said it was in the top five most binged Netflix shows for that year. So who really knows. The fact that Kristen Ritter hasn't had conversations about it is pretty telling, very least they have to make sure she's available.

Still I find it tough to believe that Defenders is canceled, I mean if Iron Fist can get a season 2 I don't see why Defenders can't. It could be they want a longer wait between seasons, but at the very least it looks like it's not happening anytime soon.
Probably because of viewership. That's what it comes down to. For some reason IF got more views and is cheaper than Defenders.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #57
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Iron Fist is probably cheaper to make, and many reports indicate that Iron Fist actually had a sizable viewership for its first season. Higher than that of Defenders, though we have no hard data to go off of.

Many thing have been pointing at it not coming back for me. All the other Netflix shows were announced for renewal fairly quickly, except this one. Also, when Defenders debuted on Netflix, it listed it as Season 1, and now the show is listed as Limited Series. Given these clues and the fact no one is talking about doing another one, I just don't see it happening.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #58
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
I don't know about metrics, but Defenders could have been a lot better than it was. It wasn't trash, but I did have higher expectations for it as a series; bringing the four together, their interactions, and the threat they faced. I don't know, I just didn't get that epic feeling I was expecting to get from it.
I was the same. It was utterly underwhelming when it could have been the best series of them all.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #59
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Iron Fist is probably cheaper to make, and many reports indicate that Iron Fist actually had a sizable viewership for its first season. Higher than that of Defenders, though we have no hard data to go off of.

Many thing have been pointing at it not coming back for me. All the other Netflix shows were announced for renewal fairly quickly, except this one. Also, when Defenders debuted on Netflix, it listed it as Season 1, and now the show is listed as Limited Series. Given these clues and the fact no one is talking about doing another one, I just don't see it happening.
I remember there being talk of Iron Fist hurting Defenders as being a poor lead in. I wonder if that could be the case, because IF was riding the wave of enthusiasm that DD, JJ, and LC made. Also I don't imagine Defenders costing that much more per-episode than IF.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #60
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I remember there being talk of Iron Fist hurting Defenders as being a poor lead in. I wonder if that could be the case, because IF was riding the wave of enthusiasm that DD, JJ, and LC made. Also I don't imagine Defenders costing that much more per-episode than IF.
Honestly, I think what hurt Defenders was the commitment. We as fans can watch 13hrs a season and follow it when they come out, but a more leisurely viewer may not want to watch that show just because it has Daredevil in it, for example. They may not have wanted to watch the other shows, thus skipped it. For films, it's easier. 2hrs x 5 movies is 10hrs over the course of like 3 years. But, each Netflix season is 13 x 5 = 65 hrs...plus another 8hrs for Defenders. I can see people more leisurely just skipping the idea. I don't think Iron Fist would have made people who loved all the prior shows except Iron Fist skip Defenders.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #61
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Honestly, I think what hurt Defenders was the commitment. We as fans can watch 13hrs a season and follow it when they come out, but a more leisurely viewer may not want to watch that show just because it has Daredevil in it, for example. They may not have wanted to watch the other shows, thus skipped it. For films, it's easier. 2hrs x 5 movies is 10hrs over the course of like 3 years. But, each Netflix season is 13 x 5 = 65 hrs...plus another 8hrs for Defenders. I can see people more leisurely just skipping the idea. I don't think Iron Fist would have made people who loved all the prior shows except Iron Fist skip Defenders.
Good point

Old 03-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #62
herolee10
No More Miracles

Personally, I really hope that we get some kind of second season for this show. I feel like it has a lot of untapped potential, especially if the producers are able to secure a bigger budget (something akin to the Lost in Space series would be great), select better villains, and have Danny in his iconic costume.

The fact that Daredevil was the only one that actually wore a costume somewhat hurt the iconography of the titular group and made him stick out a sore thumb at times.

Plus, I really want to see the reaction that the rest of the Defenders will have upon learning that Matt is still alive.

1 Corinthians 10:13
herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote