The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Default A Superman Cinematic Universe?...

Looking at the slate (which is obviously always subject to change) it would appear the DCEU (or DCCU) has a very Batman heavy feel about it. We've already had Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. With Justice League and Aquaman to come beyond that the majority of the slated films to come are Batman world characters. The Batman, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens and Nightwing it would appear that it is very much the plan for DC to go with their money maker and use the most high profile Batman characters they can to help build this DC Cinematic Universe.

However, we have already had Man of Steel and now Wonder Woman. Which leads to me to the rumours of Supergirl appearing in the next Superman film. Admittedly the rumour doesn't exactly have a reliable source, but given previous rumours have stated the same and how well Wonder Woman, a female lead Superhero film is doing, it really does feel like a no-brainer.

Why it makes sense

Introducing Kara Zor-El in a Man of Steel 2, say at the earliest in 2019 (cause I can't see a Superman film before then) would be a great way to give exposure to the character to wide audiences. The timing could not be better to do this for several reasons:

- DC have seen how much a smash hit Wonder Woman is. Arguably I'd say beyond WW Supergirl is the next most well known female Superhero outside of the comic fandom.
- The TV show has exposed the character to more people around the world. I'm sure there are a lot of kids who watch the show and they would probably get excited about a cinematic version.

A Superman Extended/Cinematic Universe?

After been introduced in a solo Superman you could then spin Kara off into her own movie. Henry Cavill's Superman could also appear maybe in a cameo the size of Gal Gadot's in BvS or even larger depending on the story requirements.

You can then start to see how this starts to build the Superman aspects of the DCEU. If Supergirl we're to be successful in her own movie you could then make the case for having other DC characters appearing in other Superman movies to then propel them and spin them off into there own films. Now I know that could sound worrying to some people but if done right Superman needs to lose no focus in his own movies. Within Comic Book movies and even just movies in general we have seen new supporting characters added without it taking away from the main character. Here's a few options aside from Supergirl who I can see existing in a Superman Centric Universe (that still exists as part of the larger DCEU):

Superboy

Connor Kent aka Superman's clone, first introduced within the Death and Return of Superman arc in the comics he could be an interesting addition to the DCEU. The clone of Superman story arc is easily one that could be adaptated for the big screen. Infact maybe they could do what they did in Young Justice and give us that story arc. Therefore having a spin off that joins aspects of the DCEU from all JL perspectives, Superboy, Robin, Kid Flash etc

Lobo

DC have been trying to get a Lobo film off the ground for years. We've now seen with Deadpool that R rated superheroes done right still make money. So this is another no brainer for WBs right now. They could take a risk like Fox did with Deadpool and give it a smaller budget but I think they'd be better served to introduce him as an antagonist in a Superman solo first. As I have and a few others have suggested before they could do the War World story but also take elements of STAS episodes The Main Man and have Mongul hire Lobo to bring Superman to War World. Only to then double cross Lobo too. They then could spin him off into his own film.

Legion of Superheroes

DC may want to make something a little lighter, something more accessible and relatable for younger audiences. The Legion of Superheroes would be a great choice for that, they would also give the DCEU a visual difference in style as it would be primarily set in the future. I would suggest they take the traditional tactic if they bring Clark to the future when he's a teenager but after the adventures Saturn Girl clears his mind as they don't want to effect his future.

Martian Manhunter

While he isn't a character from Superman comics as such he does have very close connections to the Man of Steel. There are definite parallels with the two characters back stories that would make for an interesting story arc. Also as we've seen on Supergirl he even has connections there to him and her cousin. They could definitely go down that route too if they so chose. MM would even be fitting for a JL movie so he has more open options that some of my other suggestions.

Shazam/Black Adam

We've seen Cavill and the Rock have dinner together and the Rock has even suggested the two characters would duke it out in the DCEU. Given Superman has had close connections to Billy Batson aka Shazam in the comics and animation it would certainly fit in the live action realm too. The two characters Shazam and Black Adam would certainly benefit from the Superman rub and he wouldn't feel shoe horned into the stories as we've seen it done in previous media and done well.

Final Thoughts

These are just a few suggestions and I'm sure there would be others. But maybe tying some of the other projects closer to Superman (as they are with Batman) would be a smart move. As you would get the instant recognisable rub from better known characters.

Thoughts?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Superchan
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Superman Cinematic Universe?...

IMO they need to do superman properly first before they even consider expanding his universe.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
IMO they need to do superman properly first before they even consider expanding his universe.
Exactly what I was going to say.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Vlyse
Side-Kick

I like all the ideas & I'll add my own: Superman as our anchor in a New Genesis/Apokolips film.

Also seeing MMH on a tv budget makes me sad. He needs a film budget. They need to reveal Harry Lennix's character as MMH already. MMH often has a relationship with Superman of mutual respect (for obvious reasons - the last of their kind...) and General Swanwick has been there since MOS fitting the bill even being one of the few to support him in BVS. if he's MMh, why didn't he help in the Doomsday fight? Well, MMH probably doesn't like mankind all that much, who knows how long he's been around, he's seen how the world treats Superman in BVS for being an alien while he himself looks like an alien. But he did show up at Supermans funeral. If MMH is to enter the DCEU, it makes too much sense that it would be through Superman.

Vlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
I like all the ideas & I'll add my own: Superman as our anchor in a New Genesis/Apokolips film.
Good one

Quote:
Also seeing MMH on a tv budget makes me sad. He needs a film budget. They need to reveal Harry Lennix's character as MMH already. MMH often has a relationship with Superman of mutual respect (for obvious reasons - the last of their kind...) and General Swanwick has been there since MOS fitting the bill even being one of the few to support him in BVS. if he's MMh, why didn't he help in the Doomsday fight? Well, MMH probably doesn't like mankind all that much, who knows how long he's been around, he's seen how the world treats Superman in BVS for being an alien while he himself looks like an alien. But he did show up at Supermans funeral. If MMH is to enter the DCEU, it makes too much sense that it would be through Superman.
I just feel like the ship on Harry Lennix as Martian Manhunter reveal had sailed now. That drone moment in MOS, if they'd made that to a mid credits scene and had Lennix eyes glow red after that would have been awesome. But given how he was in BvS, were he the Manhunter surely he'd have helped in the fight against Doomsday?!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I don't think it's necessarily Batman centric, WB is just looking at the DC characters and seeing who could do well in a movie and they are looking slowly so they can get better films. I expect more Superman characters to appear soon, or at least I hope. I have never liked Supergirl so I won't see her movie and hope she isn't in Supermans movie; but I like the idea of everyone else you mentioned especially MM and even Lobo.

MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
My thought exactly.
Or so it was. I mean I still believe that but they went with BvS and for me it was the wrong way to go.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Rorschach2012
Number One Guy

I want the Superfamily! Superman, Supergirl, Superboy (Conner), and Steel

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

I would definitely go see a Supergirl and a Martian Manhunter movie. Here, take my money, please.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I want the Superfamily! Superman, Supergirl, Superboy (Conner), and Steel
You know I think Steel could be such a good film if done right. It could feel so different to the it here too. Go with the whole white rabbit storyline, set it in the ghetto.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
You know I think Steel could be such a good film if done right. It could feel so different to the it here too. Go with the whole white rabbit storyline, set it in the ghetto.
Why do white superheros get to save the world but black superheros only get to save the neighborhood? Why can't Steel take on some sort of Doomsday or Zod level threat?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
David H.
Side-Kick

No time. We (still) live in Batman's world.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
Rorschach2012
Number One Guy

Steel could carry his own movie I think. I would use Superman as a supporting character and use Metallo as the villain

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #14
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Steel could carry his own movie I think. I would use Superman as a supporting character and use Metallo as the villain
That could be cool, but I'd rather see Superman take him on in a film first.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
No time. We (still) live in Batman's world.
Hypothetically speaking yes because thus far Batman, Nightwing, Batrgirl and GCS are all hypothetical, infact apart from Aquaman the entire DECU is a big question mark until JL comes out and we find out for sure whether WB has a plan or WW was just a happy fluke.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #16
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was gonna say the same thing.

MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #17
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Focusing on Batman/the Bat-family makes perfect business sense for WB/DC. Wonder Woman obviously took everyone by surprise - so we'll definitely see some world-building there. Superman? I've never been a huge fan of the character but I like Cavill's portrayal (hell, I liked MoS) and would like to see more of him. Supergirl, sure. But other than that I can't think of any Superman-related characters that I would want to see in a solo movie.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

It would be nice... but it requires so much. It does, as mentioned, require a Superman who can support an epic supporting cast, something they don't always get right in the comics themselves.

It also requires you make different kinds of films with these characters, as opposed to just 5 different alien invasion movies, which does have the same diversity folded in as, say, 5 different crime movies like the Batman family

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
Rowsdower!
Banned User

As long as every film features a final battle around a skybeam surrounded by rubble, I'm game.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #20
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

I would love to see a Superman Cinematic Universe.

Just not from the live-action Superman film franchise we have now, if it can be called such.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #21
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
As long as every film features a final battle around a skybeam surrounded by rubble, I'm game.
Exactly, can't disappoint the audience!

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 06-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #22
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
I would love to see a Superman Cinematic Universe.

Just not from the live-action Superman film franchise we have now, if it can be called such.
You'd rather they completely started over with Superman, no connection to MoS or the rest of the DCEU?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #23
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Do some sort of alien invasion story like they did on the TV shows with the Dominators and later on the Daxamites. Then you have a world level threat where Superman needs the help of Supergirl, Martian Manhunter,
Guardian - I mean Steel, maybe Superboy instead of Mon-El. Imagine how boss that story would be if if could be done with expensive GCI.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #24
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
This, pretty much.

I don't know that I'd be in a big hurry to throw another space threat at him, though; granted, I'll always be one of the first to say that Brainiac doesn't need to be a 'down the road' villain as much as he needs to be a 'right f***ing now' villain, but at this rate I don't think it necessarily hurt to lean closer to home.

For that matter, now that WB's finally (I hope) got that Death of Superman crap that's been stuffed in their pipes since the '90s out of their system, show the effect that dying and coming back has had on him...not an experience I'd think he'd want to repeat, let alone pass on to others. Show Clark having realized that life's too precious for him to give in to gloom and mark that as the beginning of his solemn vow never to take another life again.

And then put something up against him that puts that vow to the test right out of the gate. Like, say, a rival superhuman with no compunction against using lethal force against evildoers without a second's thought or hesitation. Or, say, two such superhumans. Or three. Obviously I'm hinting at The Elite here, but I would also have no problem with substituting them with creations of a government-sponsored project...particularly if it happens to be spearheaded by Lois's dad with some assistance from an incarcerated Luthor. Translation: the Superman Revenge Squad circa "Last Son" - Metallo, Bizarro and Parasite. Hell, the way things are going Superman's Rogues Gallery isn't likely to see much justice in the live-action films anyway, so they may as well do these three all in one go.

I wouldn't worry so much about Supergirl as long as she's got her own TV show, but I'd have no problem with Power Girl showing up in a later picture. Steel could probably be easily configured into this one somewhere, though, even if only as Irons this go-round.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:04 AM   #25
Silvermoth
Avenger

I think focus on making a good superman flick first and worry about a shared universe later if at all. Honestly the only spin off I can see working is supergirl and there's a tv show for her already.

Oh and Krypto! The wonder pupper!