The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #826
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drseuss View Post
well kevin feige did say mcu film and tv would crossover in may. oh wait, he just debunked what he said a month later lol
That's not what happened.

May:

Quote:
“The future’s a long time. So, the truth is, I don’t really know, but there are a lot of TV shows being made, and hopefully we’ll continue to make a lot of movies. At some point, there’s going to be a crossover. Crossover, repetition, or something.”
This week:
Quote:
“Maybe someday. No plans right now. Maybe someday, but we have a lot of characters in the MCU, and one of the things that is so special about those characters on the Netflix shows is their dynamic together. They are all combining to become The Defenders later this year and are doing their own thing.”

Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #827
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 2

Quote:
well kevin feige did say mcu film and tv would crossover in may. oh wait, he just debunked what he said a month later lol
That guy drives me CRAZY!!! I respect the work he does, but I don't even bother to listen to him anymore. He said something like Captain Marvel won't appear in a movie before her standalone unless she does....

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 06-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #828
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Guardians 2 was very powerful emotionally as well.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #829
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
That's not what happened.

May:

This week:
I still don't listen to him. I've heard enough out of him that sounds contradictory that I just don't bother. I've come to the conclusion that he's intentionally misleading and/or playing cute.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 06-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #830
Drseuss
Side-Kick

well he also said 'r rated movies werent out of question'

I totally trust him.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #831
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Guardians 2 was very powerful emotionally as well.
Agreed. There was a lot more character development in the sequel; which I liked (Liked it about AoU too though there were problems with it). I hate it when stuff like what happened at the end of GotG2 happens. Some people like it, but it bothers me. Prolly why Logan didn't grab me.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #832
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
well he also said 'r rated movies werent out of question'

I totally trust him.
I sense a missing

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #833
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

I enjoyed Feige's reaction.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #834
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Still don't see Marvel allowing Sony to do whatever they want with those films. Canon or not, they would still hurt the Marvel brand. I imagine they would want some part in it.

Homecoming seems like too much of a pseudo-origin story to me. I mean, while technically not an origin story, it ultimately has the same concept as an origin story: Peter doesn't become the Spider-Man we know till the very end. Doesn't make it a bad thing, but it would suggest all the talk of "we're starting with Spidey being Spidey" is partially exaggerated.

And honestly, if you're gonna give me an origin story again (not saying I want one again necessarily), at least give me the classic origin. It's still one of the best Spider-Man stories of all time, and it would feel more natural too. This pseudo-origin they're going for still feels like business first-and-foremost at the end of the day. It makes the film feel like a stepping stone film before a fully embracing Spider-Man film.

That and I'm getting "Marvel stays family-friendly" vibes when I read about the high school drama.
I am glad we are not getting an origin movie again. Honestly after doing it twice in the last 15 years, the idea of doing it a third time just doesn't seem dull but like box office suicide.

With that said, you are right that this is still origin-esque. He is learning on the job to be Spider-Man. Which was the gist of four of the last five Spidey movies. And the high school drama seems much less Breakfast Club to me and much more The Disney Channel. So all around, it does not feel like it is bringing much new to the table other than Tom Holland as the character.

--John Adams
Old 06-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #835
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Arya- View Post
This year is really special for me in terms of CBMs. Logan and Wonder Woman left me in pieces emotionally. Something I haven't felt with any film in the genre since The Dark Knight.
I think that is a big factor. For me it was Rises. Seeing the trauma Alfred was put through, and the unexpected amount of giddy joy that came with Bruce Wayne showing up sitting in a chair. No superhero movie has had the effect until 2017.

... Wait, I take that somewhat back. X-Men: Days of Future Past did. The entire third act of that movie is great. But ultimately, they are few and far between, indeed.

--John Adams
Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #836
-Arya-
Brightest Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I think that is a big factor. For me it was Rises. Seeing the trauma Alfred was put through, and the unexpected amount of giddy joy that came with Bruce Wayne showing up sitting in a chair. No superhero movie has had the effect until 2017.

... Wait, I take that somewhat back. X-Men: Days of Future Past did. The entire third act of that movie is great. But ultimately, they are few and far between, indeed.
You reminded me that I did get emotional during the end of TDKR, however that was the only moment. WW got me numerous times.

My top 5 superhero movies

-The Dark Knight
-Wonder Woman
-Batman Begins
-Captain America: The Winter Soldier
-Spider-Man
Old 06-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #837
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
This year is really special for me in terms of CBMs. Logan and Wonder Woman left me in pieces emotionally. Something I haven't felt with any film in the genre since The Dark Knight.
There's been some nice sad emotional scenes this year for sure, although for me it's Logan and GoTG 2 that had moving scenes. There's been some fun moments as well, to complete the emotional package.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #838
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
You reminded me that I did get emotional during the end of TDKR, however that was the only moment. WW got me numerous times.
'Tis a good moment. Actually, I think that one is filled with them. Like Bane breaking Bruce, and Batman finally coming back after being gone for years, and Bruce climbing out of the pit.

But I agree Logan and Wonder Woman are really good films (I even rank Logan higher than TDKR) that brought back a tactile quality to the genre that has been long absent.

--John Adams
Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #839
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
The more I think about it, the more this seems like an indicator of disquiet behind the scenes at Sony. I truly believe that they have zero idea what they're doing with these spin-offs and Pascal coming out and saying this a mere 5 days after Fiege said that Venom wasn't going to be in the MCU tells me that's a pretty safe bet.
Sony's desire for a Venom movie has been baffling to me for years. Venom is a 90's villain that no-one cares about anymore. Sony want to have their cake and eat it too, yet they don't have the talent behind their doors to pull it off. If they had any sense they would leave the Spidey-verse to Marvel, put their feet up on the desk and watch their bank accounts get fuller. Easiest payday in the world. I'm convinced it's come down to nothing more than pride now, that they are too proud to admit they have no idea what they are doing and that the character is better off with Marvel than it is with them.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #840
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Sony's desire for a Venom movie has been baffling to me for years. Venom is a 90's villain that no-one cares about anymore. Sony want to have their cake and eat it too, yet they don't have the talent behind their doors to pull it off. If they had any sense they would leave the Spidey-verse to Marvel, put their feet up on the desk and watch their bank accounts get fuller. Easiest payday in the world. I'm convinced it's come down to nothing more than pride now, that they are too proud to admit they have no idea what they are doing and that the character is better off with Marvel than it is with them.
Their film division is bleeding, badly.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #841
NotSoLongAgo
#spidermansolit

At this point I think the execs at sony enjoy seeing their company hemorrhage money.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #842
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I am glad we are not getting an origin movie again. Honestly after doing it twice in the last 15 years, the idea of doing it a third time just doesn't seem dull but like box office suicide.

With that said, you are right that this is still origin-esque. He is learning on the job to be Spider-Man. Which was the gist of four of the last five Spidey movies. And the high school drama seems much less Breakfast Club to me and much more The Disney Channel. So all around, it does not feel like it is bringing much new to the table other than Tom Holland as the character.
Yeah, I feel like the movie is just gonna be dull. I predict that Holland will be fine; Keaton will elevate the whole thing; most will be indifferent toward the majority of Peter's personal drama; and the sequel will promise to be the movie everyone wanted to be in the first place.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #843
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLongAgo View Post
At this point I think the execs at sony enjoy seeing their company hemorrhage money.
They should've hired the other former Fox executive -- Jim Gianopoulos. Not Tom freaking Rothman, who just seems to make things worse.

Sony has struggled, but their troubles are light compared to Paramount. Now that studio is desperate for a big hit.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:10 AM   #844
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Sony has struggled, but their troubles are light compared to Paramount. Now that studio is desperate for a big hit.
Well at least they have Mission: Impossible. Next year, lol.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #845
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

I'm sure most of the discussion on WW is exhausted at this point but here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-Damn fine performance from Chris Pine
-Gorgeous cinematography
-A few of the action scenes are some of the best in any CBM*
-Excellent score
-Thematic storytelling very well done
-No Man's Land scene is an instant classic
-Patty Jenkin's excellence as a director really shows through
-Dat oil painting

*The horrible use of slo-mo takes away a lot of the awesome

Cons:
-Third Act and especially final battle dropped the ball
-The slo-mo was wayyyyy overdone and nearly ruined the action for me
-Villains were awful
-Every character outside Steve Trevor and WW are forgettable

What I was right about: Gal Gadot is nothing special. Guess I just don't see what others are seeing, but to me she was serviceable. Nothing bad, but nothing special either. I can't agree with the "Gadot IS Wonder Woman!" crowd...she did nothing that I think a different actress couldn't do as well or better. The First Act is great, Second Act is good, and the Third Act is okay-to-bad. That final battle brought back memories of the MOS battle. Way over the top and not nearly as enjoyable as the movie leading up to it. Also I've been reading so much about how great some scenes are and most of them just didn't live up to the hype. I think people are infatuated right now but this movie won't age that well. There's no question in my mind about where WW stands...it's just not on the same level as the creme of the superhero origin crop like Spider-Man or BB. Not close really. It's nowhere near Indiana Jones or other classics I've seen it compared to. It's more on the level of Thor and CA:TFA but a cut above them. I will say that the period was done really well...this movie makes me pine for a legit WWII Captain America movie. I will say it makes TFA look a lot worse.

What I have to eat crow on: The cinematography blew me away. The colors and the way things were shot were absolutely gorgeous, and yes, overall MCU movies look muddy and sloppy in comparison to this beautiful movie.

Overall: A solid movie with some great stuff and some bad stuff. 8/10.

Last edited by hafizbat; 06-19-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #846
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
They should've hired the other former Fox executive -- Jim Gianopoulos. Not Tom freaking Rothman, who just seems to make things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well at least they have Mission: Impossible. Next year, lol.
They've also got Transformers this year, which I'm sure will make a boatload overseas.
I didn't realize that Paramount was in dire financial straits.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #847
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:

Don't they have the craptacular TF movies that get panned but still make $1B movies?

Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #848
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I'm sure most of the discussion on WW is exhausted at this point but here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-Damn fine performance from Chris Pine
-Gorgeous cinematography
-A few of the action scenes are some of the best in any CBM*
-Excellent score
-Thematic storytelling very well done
-No Man's Land scene is an instant classic
-Patty Jenkin's excellence as a director really shows through
-Dat oil painting

*The horrible use of slo-mo takes away a lot of the awesome

Cons:
-Third Act and especially final battle dropped the ball
-The slo-mo was wayyyyy overdone and nearly ruined the action for me
-Villains were awful
-Every character outside Steve Trevor and WW are forgettable

What I was right about: Gal Gadot is nothing special. Guess I just don't see what others are seeing, but to me she was serviceable. Nothing bad, but nothing special either. I can't agree with the "Gadot IS Wonder Woman!" crowd...she did nothing that I think a different actress couldn't do as well or better. The First Act is great, Second Act is good, and the Third Act is okay-to-bad. That final battle brought back memories of the MOS battle. Way over the top and not nearly as enjoyable as the movie leading up to it. Also I've been reading so much about how great some scenes are and most of them just didn't live up to the hype. I think people are infatuated right now but this movie won't age that well. There's no question in my mind about where WW stands...it's just not on the same level as the creme of the superhero origin crop like Spider-Man or BB. Not close really. It's nowhere near Indiana Jones or other classics I've seen it compared to. It's more on the level of Thor and CA:TFA but a cut above them. I will say that the period was done really well...this movie makes me pine for a legit WWII Captain America movie. I will say it makes TFA look a lot worse.

What I have to eat crow on: The cinematography blew me away. The colors and the way things were shot were absolutely gorgeous, and yes, overall MCU movies look muddy and sloppy in comparison to this beautiful movie.

Overall: A solid movie with some great stuff and some bad stuff. 8/10.
I agree on Gadot, I don't really see why she's getting quite so much praise as she is. She's good enough to play the lead in this movie, which I do consider a win given my fears after BvS, but she's uneven in her performance and quite visibly of lower quality than actors like Pine or Nielsen. Her line delivery is spotty at times and in other times her emoting lacks subtlety so everything is too big to feel as real. What she has going for her is that she's naturally charming so she works clearly the best when she smiles and is happy.

She's not a negative for the movie at all, but I do feel that she's probably the worst actor that plays a major superhero (not so much knocking her but praising the standard), but somehow she gets more praise than many of them. It could of course just be me viewing things differently, but I still have a hard time seeing the same amount of praise if this movie features Hercules instead (as I saw someone pointing out elsewhere).

I also agree that Themyscira was clearly the best part of the movie and I do want to go back there in a sequel.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #849
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:

Rothman is the kiss of death for everything he touches. And it's not luck, it's directly his fault!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #850
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

I find it funny that for years Rothman refused to do a R Rated Deadpool and Wolverine at Fox but now he is green lighting a R rated Venom because those previous characters movies were big hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLongAgo View Post
Many of the Hollywood trades in recent years have been predicting Sony Studios as the next studio to be brought out by the Chinese group.

At least Paramount still have the Transformers and Mission Impossible franchises likely keeping them afloat.