The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Default Supergirl to join the DCEU?

Mods, if this is the wrong place, please move it.

Latest rumor is Man of Steel 2 will include Supergirl with Brainiac as the main villain.

http://screenrant.com/rumor-man-of-s...upergirl-dceu/

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Default Re: Supergirl to join the DCEU?

I feel like this could go in general discussion, but while we're probably certain that there will be A Supergirl in the DCEU at some point, the fact that Screen Rant's article includes...

Quote:
Speculation from an anonymous source who posted in 4chan.org
...should immediately discredit this. An anonymous source, and from 4chan of all places? Reddit is one thing, but 4chan, don't even bother.

NotNickFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Who knows. I'd like to see her at some point, maybe introduced in a similar way to Superman/Batman: The Supergirl from Krypton.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
kara zor el
Banned User

Just my speculation, but given how massive a success WW the film is, the powers that be at DC/Warner are stampeding to get additional women superheroes on the screen, ASAP.

So much of what Hollywood produces is copies of prior successes, and female heroes are HUGE right now.

I can see them making the next Superman film that includes both Melissa Benoist AND Gal Gadot, simply because when you're spending $250 MM to make and market a film, you are going to put everything into it that you believe will make it a success to connect with audiences for what they want right now.

kara zor el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara zor el View Post
Just my speculation, but given how massive a success WW the film is, the powers that be at DC/Warner are stampeding to get additional women superheroes on the screen, ASAP.

So much of what Hollywood produces is copies of prior successes, and female heroes are HUGE right now.

I can see them making the next Superman film that includes both Melissa Benoist AND Gal Gadot, simply because when you're spending $250 MM to make and market a film, you are going to put everything into it that you believe will make it a success to connect with audiences for what they want right now.
Honestly, I can't see any way that Benoist's Supergirl will make it into the DCEU.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
kara zor el
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
Honestly, I can't see any way that Benoist's Supergirl will make it into the DCEU.
Think of the way Hollywood works; they will find a way to get her in; she is a smash on TV and while I feel they made a whopping mistake not casting Grant Gustin as the Flash, Benoist IS Supergirl, she has the role down, fitting it perfectly. Her "dorkiness"/humorousness would translate well and give levity to a Superman film, something badly missing from MofS and BvS.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

The fact that they've already cast a different Flash and a different Superman speaks against it. And even though WW has a different feel to MoS, BvS and SS, it's still a world away from DCTV. I think we'll get Supergirl - and I look forward to it - but I don't think there's any way it'll be Benoist.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Even though I love Benoist as CW's Supergirl, I would rather have a different, younger actress take over the theatrical reins. Personally, I would love to see the New 52 Supergirl brought to the big screen, costume and all, but that probably wouldn't happen.

I would hope however that they would keep that version's anger and sense of loss as fuel for her story arc, and as a foil to Superman's hopeful demeanor. Should he ever get one...

In the New 52 run, there are a number of times when she and Kal trade blows, and that's even before she joins the Red Lantern Corps... So them having a super powered fight wouldn't be out of the question. I would definitely want her younger too.

There is also Benoist herself. Clearly she loves doing Supergirl, but considering the 180 degrees she does in movie roles, I don't think she'd want to be the Maid of Might anymore than she is now. She clearly does not want to be type-cast.

And becoming Supergirl in the DCEU would probably mean a minimum of three movies, which would effect the CW Supergirl and any plans she may have for after that run is up.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Unbound was a really terrible flick, which makes it the perfect thing to adapt.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
Brierrose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
Even though I love Benoist as CW's Supergirl, I would rather have a different, younger actress take over the theatrical reins. Personally, I would love to see the New 52 Supergirl brought to the big screen, costume and all, but that probably wouldn't happen.

I would hope however that they would keep that version's anger and sense of loss as fuel for her story arc, and as a foil to Superman's hopeful demeanor. Should he ever get one...

In the New 52 run, there are a number of times when she and Kal trade blows, and that's even before she joins the Red Lantern Corps... So them having a super powered fight wouldn't be out of the question. I would definitely want her younger too.

There is also Benoist herself. Clearly she loves doing Supergirl, but considering the 180 degrees she does in movie roles, I don't think she'd want to be the Maid of Might anymore than she is now. She clearly does not want to be type-cast.

And becoming Supergirl in the DCEU would probably mean a minimum of three movies, which would effect the CW Supergirl and any plans she may have for after that run is up.
Agreed I just don't see Melissa being Supergirl in a movie. Her take on Supergirl didn't fit well in Arrow during the crossover I can't imagine her fitting in the DCEU. Then there's the fact that she has about 2.5 months off a year which she wisely uses to do other projects. Even if she wanted to be Supergirl in a movie there's no time. I do think it would be cool to have some on the DCTV actors do cameos in the movies and that's feasible.

For a movie Supergirl go younger, like high school age. I'm picturing someone like Hit Girl in the second Kick Ass movie but with superpowers. She can grow-up in later movies as the actress ages. Actually Chloë Grace Moretz wouldn't be a bad choice and she's young enough to play a high schooler as long as they say she's an upperclassman. I have a feeling she might not want to do it for fear of being typecast.

Last edited by Brierrose; 06-18-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Brierrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
kara zor el
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brierrose View Post
Her take on Supergirl didn't fit well in Arrow during the crossover I can't imagine her fitting in the DCEU.
Don't agree here.

Quote:
I have a feeling she might not want to do it for fear of being typecast.
A modest-sized role in a Superman movie would only add awareness to her show, if it was pulled off properly. She could be used to add much-needed levity that has been sorely missing from DC films, especially MoS and BvS.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

If the DCEU handle the character right she could capture audiences hearts in the same way that Wonder Woman has.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brierrose View Post
Actually Chlo� Grace Moretz wouldn't be a bad choice and she's young enough to play a high schooler as long as they say she's an upperclassman.
I've seen Moretz suggested a few times. Although I liked her in the Kick-Ass movies I'm not sure about her as Supergirl. Maybe.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #14
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

They would never use Benoist. Too many complications - universe/continuity-wise, legality-wise (as Warner Bros. Pictures and Warner Bros. Television are actually two separate companies) and logistically (filming on a blockbuster like that takes far longer than the hiatuses they have on this show).

It's far more efficient for them to simply hire another actor like they did for Flash.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 AM   #15
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Casting Benoist in the films will never happen. It's like when people wanted Tom Welling to play Superman in the films. It just won't happen.

Benoist is a part of this version, it would be massively jarring to take her out and into the cinematic universe.

I would rather keep Supergirl in air and have another actress put her own spin aswell as the DCEUs spin on her in the movie universe. That's the brilliant thing about these characters, there histories are so vast we can have different interpretations of the same characters.

Adapting the Geoff Johns Brainiac arc is definitely the way to go. I did like Superman Unbound too but they didn't really do the emotional aspects of the graphic novel Justice. But I think taking a leaf out of that films book and having her already be on Earth as Supergirl would be pretty cool. You could then do a solo spin off and revisit her origins there.

Last edited by BH/HHH; 06-19-2017 at 03:33 AM.
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
X Knight
Watchful Protector

I want my Kryptonian Goddess in the DCEU!!!

but I don't want Melissa in the role or for it to have anything to do with the tv show.

and my first intro to the character was the Superman/Batman story ( with WW training her and Darkseid pursuing her ). So, I wouldn't mind if they adapted that storyline. That would give them an excuse to use the Trinity and perhaps introduce Darkseid depending on when the film falls in the DCEU timeline.

of course, Supergirl is often tied to Brainiac, so they could adapt that Unbound story, too.

maybe a combo of the two?

Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I want my Kryptonian Goddess in the DCEU!!!

but I don't want Melissa in the role or for it to have anything to do with the tv show.

and my first intro to the character was the Superman/Batman story ( with WW training her and Darkseid pursuing her ). So, I wouldn't mind if they adapted that storyline. That would give them an excuse to use the Trinity and perhaps introduce Darkseid depending on when the film falls in the DCEU timeline.

of course, Supergirl is often tied to Brainiac, so they could adapt that Unbound story, too.

maybe a combo of the two?
Hmm so maybe it's Brainiac that wants to use her in a similar way Darkseid was going to. I could see how that would work.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Hmm so maybe it's Brainiac that wants to use her in a similar way Darkseid was going to. I could see how that would work.
yeah. but then you'd still get Superman, Batman, and WW "fighting" over what's best for Kara.

will be a good way for the Trinity to interact with each other and air their differences without having to come to blows ( unlike Batman vs Superman ).

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #19
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
I feel like this could go in general discussion, but while we're probably certain that there will be A Supergirl in the DCEU at some point, the fact that Screen Rant's article includes...

...should immediately discredit this. An anonymous source, and from 4chan of all places? Reddit is one thing, but 4chan, don't even bother.
Pretty sure ElMayimbe has debunked this.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
yeah. but then you'd still get Superman, Batman, and WW "fighting" over what's best for Kara.

will be a good way for the Trinity to interact with each other and air their differences without having to come to blows ( unlike Batman vs Superman ).
What would you package it as though? A Superman film? A Trinity film? A Supergirl film?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #21
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Pretty sure ElMayimbe has debunked this.
He's not exactly reliable and it's quite funny cause if you search back he was the one who started the rumour about a year ago.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
What would you package it as though? A Superman film? A Trinity film? A Supergirl film?
A Supergirl Film.

but now that you mention it, maybe it would be better to get a straight up solo, hope-filled and uplifting Superman sequel first that just focused on Superman the way he should be. then, at the end, include a cliffhanger with Supergirl's pod crashing.

that would setup the Supergirl film, which would feature the Trinity.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara zor el View Post
Think of the way Hollywood works; they will find a way to get her in; she is a smash on TV and while I feel they made a whopping mistake not casting Grant Gustin as the Flash, Benoist IS Supergirl, she has the role down, fitting it perfectly. Her "dorkiness"/humorousness would translate well and give levity to a Superman film, something badly missing from MofS and BvS.
I said this about Grant Gustin and they still did not use him for the Flash movie...so I do not see it happening with Benoist either. PLUS, when would they film it, Mid April to early July. Coming off of 9 months of shooting to go straight into no less than 2 months of shooting to go right back in to a 9 month shoot? I have no doubt both Grant and Melissa would give it their best shot and give 110% simply because that is how they are, but it could very easily lead to an injury, etc...I just do not see it happening, though I would love if it did.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #24
X Knight
Watchful Protector

you can't use tv show Kara because she already has her own Superman who's not Henry Cavill.

there's no way they are using tv Kara. She's not connected to the DCEU universe at all.

plus, the whole tone of the DCEU is different from from the tone of tv Supergirl. they wouldn't fit.

with that being said, I wouldn't mind DCEU Kara having a degree of "adorkability" like tv Supergirl or the animated DC Super Hero Girls version of Kara.

but, it would have to fit with the rest of the DCEU.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #25
Flemm
Side-Kick

I think tv is actually quite a good format for an alternative take on a well-known comic book mythos. Supergirl is like that, but also Gotham and Legion.

But they are apparently doing a Batgirl movie, so I guess a Supergirl appearance is not unlikely at some point.

There is probably an argument to be made for the character being younger in the movie-verse, as that would provide a greater contrast with the rest of the superheroes.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote