The Avengers.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #29
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Winner Takes it All....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
12 years later, and so many huge steps forward in the genre taken, mine is still Spider-Man 2.

The absolutely perfect Comic Book Movie. One that reminds you with practically every scene why you love comic books AND movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Spider-Man 2

VINDICATED

I AM SELFISH I AM WRONG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Spider-Man 2.
Spider-Man 2 just might be my second favorite CBM of the modern era. I love that Lee/Ditko/Romita feel the movie has, the fight scenes. Pretty much summed up Spider Man's greatness in one film.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #30
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

SM2 was my #1 until TDK and the MCU movie usurped it.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #31
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I can't really pick a favorite, but when taking the time of release into consideration The Avengers stands out as the biggest comic book moment yet in the history of the genre imo. It's the monument that shows that you can truly embrace the genre (both regarding a movie itself and in the sequential storytelling that comics have) and don't have to tippy toe around it.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #32
Infinight888
Side-Kick

Civil War. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I can't really pick a favorite, but when taking the time of release into consideration The Avengers stands out as the biggest comic book moment yet in the history of the genre imo. It's the monument that shows that you can truly embrace the genre (both regarding a movie itself and in the sequential storytelling that comics have) and don't have to tippy toe around it.
I have to agree with this completely. While it might not be the best CBM movie, The Avengers is the single most important ever made. The ripples this movie created by popularizing the shared universe concept will still be felt for decades to come throughout the film and television industries.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #33
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinight888 View Post
Civil War. However...

I have to agree with this completely. While it might not be the best CBM movie, The Avengers is the single most important ever made. The ripples this movie created by popularizing the shared universe concept will still be felt for decades to come throughout the film and television industries.
Personally, would say it's Superman : The Movie, without that, you'd have nothing, literally nothing of the genre, Marvel, DC, anything made at all.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #34
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

It's The Dark Knight and, at least as far as I'm concerned, it's not even a contest.

Abudefduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #35
Infinight888
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Personally, would say it's Superman : The Movie, without that, you'd have nothing, literally nothing of the genre, Marvel, DC, anything made at all.
I disagree. Superheroes were popular before that film. There were already made-for-TV movies and tons of series (both live-action and animated). The genre expanding into the box office was an inevitability. Had Superman not been made, another would have tried to tap into that market sooner or later due to its success in those other mediums.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree. Superheroes were popular before that film. There were already made-for-TV movies and tons of series (both live-action and animated). The genre expanding into the box office was an inevitability. Had Superman not been made, another would have tried to tap into that market sooner or later due to its success in those other mediums.
Absolutely agree, yes you had TV serials & the like previously across both DC & Marvel but the investment, aesthetic, drive, of Donner & his vision and his sheer will & wish to make a film that would be taken 'seriously', let's not forget, people were very reluctant previously to make the jump you are indicating and the scope that came with Superman at the time was a complete universe away from what the TV was producing or had done. Without Superman, the act to get Batman back on screen as an approach nearer to Kane's original concept from the late 70's onwards until eventually 1989 would not have happened and certainly the Marvel output which at the time was Bixby's Incredible Hulk or a v ropey Spiderman series would not have inspired investment to make a more 'serious' MCU either.

Superman's impact on me as a child watching it in the cinema was of a dawning of a new age like nothing before, it's impact for 'our genre' was similar to that of sci-fi blockbusters & tentpole summer releases that Jaws & Star Wars had at their time of release.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #37
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

Green Lantern.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #38
OcStat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Spider-Man 2 just might be my second favorite CBM of the modern era. I love that Lee/Ditko/Romita feel the movie has, the fight scenes. Pretty much summed up Spider Man's greatness in one film.
Every time I watch it I am impressed. Watched it last week and my 5 year old daughter was invested in it as much as she was with Frozen. Which is really saying something.

For that reason I will probably always give the edge to Spider-Man 2 over The Dark Knight. Nolan's movies are just not as accessible to children, which is totally fine. I'm sure people will disagree with me on that too, for whatever reason. But of all the modern CBM's there's only a handful that are truly all ages. Not even all the MCU movies qualify. As someone who fell in love with the majority of these characters as a child that matters to me.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #39
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Superman
Batman Forever
The Winter Soldier
BvS
Avengers is kind of no longer good rewatch material for me, but it was good 8yrs ago.

MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #40
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Has to be The Dark Knight, though X2, Spiderman 2 and DOFP run it close for me. But TDK is still the daddy.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)The Shape of Water-8.5(5)Ready Player One-8(6)Tomb Raider-7(7)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #41
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
By that same token, you can play this game with the MCU, too. You could easily say someone else would've popularized the shared universe concept had Marvel Studios not done so. As DC fanboys love to point out, there were several attempts throughout the years of WB trying to do what the MCU eventually did.

We can talk hypotheticals all day, The fact is that the MCU did the shared universe first, just like its a fact that STM was the first big budget, blockbuster CBM, a film that brought a level of credibility to the genre that it lacked in those live action TV shows and cartoons you mentioned. There would be no MCU or Avengers, at least as we know them, without STM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Every time I watch it I am impressed. Watched it last week and my 5 year old daughter was invested in it as much as she was with Frozen. Which is really saying something.

For that reason I will probably always give the edge to Spider-Man 2 over The Dark Knight. Nolan's movies are just not as accessible to children, which is totally fine. I'm sure people will disagree with me on that too, for whatever reason. But of all the modern CBM's there's only a handful that are truly all ages. Not even all the MCU movies qualify. As someone who fell in love with the majority of these characters as a child that matters to me.
That's more than a fair assessment. Spider-Man 2 really does have something for everyone.

Last edited by The Batman; 11-27-2016 at 04:16 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #42
DCW
Side-Kick

Batman 89 is still the best for me, though Batman Returns is probably the better movie.

Superman The Movie, Spider-Man 2, and The Dark Knight are all up there too.

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 AM   #43
frostanon
Side-Kick

The Winter Soldier.

frostanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #44
kguillou
Side-Kick

Spiderman 2. That movie hits me on so many emotional levels as someone who grew up with Spiderman as not only my favorite comic character but a character I genuinely looked up to and related to on a personal level. So much of my own personality was drawn from Peter Parker from the comics and the 90's animated series and SM2 was one big love letter as to why he was the greatest of all time.

kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #45
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Although not based on 'official' property or decades of mythology, got to say The Incredibles, for me, would be right up there.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #46
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by MydnightPhoenix View Post
Avengers is kind of no longer good rewatch material for me, but it was good 8yrs ago.
2016-2012 = 4 years.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #47
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Avengers would be my top spot
I recognize it's not as technically polished or as "good" a film as TDK, or even TWS
But damn if that wasn't the most enjoyable theater experience I've ever had in my life
The combination of a thrilling and never-been-done-before film mixed with an amazing audience made it a movie-going experience I'll never forget

Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #48
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
clap emoji

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #49
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

wrong thread

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #50
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MydnightPhoenix View Post
Superman
Batman Forever
The Winter Soldier
BvS
Just feels like it....