The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #26
StarLord
Boogeyman

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
After seeing Ex Machina, if this sequel does ever happen they need to get Alex Garland to direct.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #27
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I just looked at the budgets. They could make FOUR AND A HALF Dredds for what Transformers 4 cost.

Man, that really pisses me off.
Tis sad indeed. Could make both films and wouldnt effect the quality of either. Ho-hum, doesnt look like a sequel will ever happen now, the original just didnt make enough money and that is a sad fact.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #28
DOBSON10
Custom User Title

The problem is outside of Dredd and a few action scenes the movie was kind of generic and the other characters stunk. I'm not familiar with the Dredd comic books so I don't know if "Ma Ma" or "The Ma Ma Clan" was created for this movie or from the books, but they really couldn't have come up with a worse name if they tried. Everytime they said it I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous it sounded.

And as much as I like Karl Urban, the general audience just doesn't seem to connect with him, I've always thought he should have a bigger career with more lead roles but he just doesn't grab the attention of enough people as the lead apparently. Even his TV show failed.

I'm surprised that so many people on this site liked it, seemed pretty bland to me. The machine gun scene was pretty awesome though.

DOBSON10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #29
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Shankar posted a video titled "How to Make a DREDD Sequel & a Lesson in Film Finance" and it's a quick summary of things could work out.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #30
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

That was really informative.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #31
Keehar
Banned User

Got a link to this cost effective video?

Keehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #32
StarLord
Boogeyman

Awesome Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 3

Karl Urban: "Conversations are happening"...

Quote:
A week ago, actor Karl Urban was tweeting about how he’d be completely open to seeing the return of Dredd in the form of a Netflix or Amazon original series. While that sentiment was something many of us viewers shared in, there was nothing all that concrete or newsworthy about it simply because there was no substance. It was just an actor’s desire to see one of his roles continue.

However, it seems that this desire has caught the attention of one if not both of those companies as Urban stated at this weekend’s Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo that “conversations are happening” for a possible series. A petition for a series has already accrued over 145,000 signatures.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #33
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
Please please pleas! LOVED DREDD!!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
Please god let this happen! Netflix would be perfect for it!

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #35
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

The Netflix format would be ideal. Could do the epic Dredd sagas some real justice (no pun intended). Hard to condense some of those big stories into a single film (Stallone's effort tried to blend things from a few different stories).

Would like to see them give MC1 a makeover though. One thing Stallone's effort captured well was the cramped haphazard aesthetic of the city. In Urban's MC1 anyone wanting a Block war would need to get a bus.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #36
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
The Netflix format would be ideal. Could do the epic Dredd sagas some real justice (no pun intended). Hard to condense some of those big stories into a single film (Stallone's effort tried to blend things from a few different stories).

Would like to see them give MC1 a makeover though. One thing Stallone's effort captured well was the cramped haphazard aesthetic of the city. In Urban's MC1 anyone wanting a Block war would need to get a bus.
Agreed with all, I really hope this gets picked up on Netflix as it could be something really special.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #37
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

c'mon Netflix, make it happen!

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #38
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

I hope if it happens Alex Garland is still involved in some capacity.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #39
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hope if it happens Alex Garland is still involved in some capacity.
I want as many as they can get that was involved in the film. Costumes, cast, writers, I absolutely loved DREDD

Old 01-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #40
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Just watched this again for the first time in a while, it’s simple, but man is the movie effective. Urban kicks ass as Judge Dredd, he just embodies the character. And Olivia Thirlby is awesome as Anderson. Damn shame we never got that sequel, but I really hope both of them can get in that Mega City One TV show they are doing.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #41
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Just watched this again for the first time in a while, it’s simple, but man is the movie effective. Urban kicks ass as Judge Dredd, he just embodies the character. And Olivia Thirlby is awesome as Anderson. Damn shame we never got that sequel, but I really hope both of them can get in that Mega City One TV show they are doing.
Dredd is a fantastic movie! I actually saw it in the cinema (I think there were about twenty of us).

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #42
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
Dredd is a fantastic movie! I actually saw it in the cinema (I think there were about twenty of us).
Same, shame it wasn’t more popular love this movie.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 AM   #43
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

After watching this movie again fairly recently, I think I prefer it to all the big budget comic book movies of that year.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #44
80s Bullock
Side-Kick

I liked the movie, but somehow it wasn't really Judge Dredd. Well, they kept the helmet on, but all the satire was gone. MegaCity-One didn't even look THAT bad compared to many real life cities. And the action scenes were... well, they always build up great but then suddenly they stop.

80s Bullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #45
dark_b
Side-Kick

Karl Urban Says Alex Garland Actually Directed DREDD
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03/...directed-dredd

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #46
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Isn't that fairly well documented? I recall basically reading about as much, that the credited director didn't have much control over the film, and it was mainly Garland calling the shots.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #47
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

One of the main reasons why Dredd will always struggle to be done properly is because the entire thing is basically one long parody / diatribe / critique of American culture. And it's not a flattering one in the slightest.

It's also extremely British. Full of surrealism, eccentrism, satire, black comedy, sarcasm, and ludicrousness.

I love all of my American chums, but you're really not prepared for Judge Dredd done properly. The howls of indignation from most US media would be deafening.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10

Last edited by m1ll3r; 03-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #48
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Isn't that fairly well documented? I recall basically reading about as much, that the credited director didn't have much control over the film, and it was mainly Garland calling the shots.
It’s been heavily rumoured for a while, but never confirmed until now.