MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

If it'll make you happy, go for it.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #777
sweetre15
Positive Page

So after a rather crazy work week, I've finally gotten to finish The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1. The debut of the original Sinister Six, which included these villains: Doctor Octopus, The Vulture, Sandman, Kraven The Hunter, and Mysterio. While in other media, variations involving Doc Ock, Vulture, and Mysterio are often used in some form or order....What might be jarring for newcomers or nostalgic fans re-reading is that Shocker, Electro, Scorpion, Chameleon, Kingpin and Rhino aren't included in some capacity like they are in Spider-Man: TAS or The Spectacular Spider Man cartoon.

Specifically....

Spider-Man TAS's Insidious Six involved:

Doctor Octopus
Chameleon
Scorpion
Shocker
Rhino
Vulture
Kingpin
Mysterio

Spectacular Spider-Man's Sinister Six's First season line up involved:

Doctor Octopus
Rhino
Electro
Shocker
Vulture
Sandman

Second Season line up had Doc Ock work in the shadows as The Master Planner with the help of The Tinkerer and had this lineup as the fighting members:

Rhino
Sandman
Mysterio
Kraven The Hunter
Vulture
Electro

The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon's lineup:

Doctor Octopus
Kraven
Electro
Rhino
Beetle
Lizard

What one might also find interesting is the approach the villains take to attacking Spider-Man. In other interpretations the team attacks/ambushes him together where as here they were blinded by their desire to take credit for being the one to stop him so they devised a set up: They'd capture Aunt May and Betty Brant as hostages to ensure Spider-Man would show up and when he does each would challenge him and the only way for him to find out where May and Betty are kept at is by defeating them and getting a note with directions from each villain and it amusingly doesn't take that much time to stop them each once he overcomes his psychosomatic power loss caused by his depression and guilt over Uncle Ben's death.

Nonetheless, very entertaining issue and debut of the Sinister Six.

Last edited by sweetre15; 08-10-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #778
sweetre15
Positive Page

I hope I'm not boring people away with my posts on old Spider-Man issues (awkwardly laughs)

Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #779
geetard
Rebirth

What are some of great Spidey trades to get?

I know Kraven's Last Hunt is supposedly the DKR of Spidey stories so that one is already on my wishlist. More recently, I heard The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is pretty good too.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #780
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
What are some of great Spidey trades to get?

I know Kraven's Last Hunt is supposedly the DKR of Spidey stories so that one is already on my wishlist. More recently, I heard The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is pretty good too.
As of now, I'm just buying the TPBs of Marvel Masterworks for the original Spidey run

WWE will always be the clear #1 company in pro wrestling as long as their next best competition is TNA, and TNA will always be the second-rate Mickey Mouse outfit with the creativity of a Xerox copier
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #781
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

I'm slowly reading through the Alien Costume Saga pt 1. Spidey has never really blown me away to where I'm saying "wow! I can't put this down!" I guess I don't really relate or care about the character.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #782
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Ultimate Spider-Man is great if you don't mind non-616 universe spider-man. I've also heard excellent things about superior spider-man and superior foes of spider-man. Miles Morales stuff is also good. The new Chip Zdarksy Spider-Man book is a blast.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:53 AM   #783
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Ultimate Spider-Man is great if you don't mind non-616 universe spider-man. I've also heard excellent things about superior spider-man and superior foes of spider-man. Miles Morales stuff is also good. The new Chip Zdarksy Spider-Man book is a blast.
I've read Volumes 1-6 of Ultimate Spider-Man and greatly love it but as for Chip Zdarsky.....Not my cup of tea. He's medically unfunny imo.

WWE will always be the clear #1 company in pro wrestling as long as their next best competition is TNA, and TNA will always be the second-rate Mickey Mouse outfit with the creativity of a Xerox copier
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #784
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
I hope I'm not boring people away with my posts on old Spider-Man issues (awkwardly laughs)
You certainly aren't boring me with them.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #785
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade W View Post
You certathbakinly aren't boring me with them.
Thanks bud. I'll happily keep up the good work.

Just last night I bought Vol 3 of the Marvel Masterworks and I got Kraven's Last Hunt. The only dilemma I'm having now is whether or not I should read and review that before or after reading All Star Superman. Lol

Old 08-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #786
sweetre15
Positive Page

So I just finished The Amazing Spider-Man #16 and I gotta say while it doesn't exactly have a lot going here is some thing I found amusing:

The fact that Aunt May is constantly riding Parker about dating MJ and when he brings up that he ALREADY has a girlfriend and she goes "You aren't engaged or anything yet"

Is she trying to turn Parker into a "player"? Lol

Anyway so we have Parker leave the house and go out to fight crime and he sees Matt Murdoch, whom he doesn't know is Daredevil and presumes to protect him from the criminals around him. Meanwhile Murdock goes back to his firm to meet up with Karen Page and Foggy when they try to invite him to the circus when he initially refuses because of how he doesn't "trust" his feelings for Karen.

However The Ringmaster, whom is a villain that uses hypnosis and was last stopped by Hulk before this, decides to trick people by advertising that Spider-Man will be there.

Just so happens that not only does Spider-Man see this himself and decides he'll attend but Matt also agrees to go once he finds out Spider-Man is advertised for the event.

Now the one bad thing is this also puts Parker in hot water with Betty again because he turns down another invite she has for him to spend time with her especially since she assumes he's going to the circus with another girl. When in actuality he didn't invite her because he knows he'll be going as Spider-Man.

Beyond that setup, what happens is Spider-Man shows up and wows the fans until Ringmaster decided to carry on with his hypnosis plan and Daredevil comes out to thwart it....leading to a fight with Spidey and Daredevil that was evenly matched until Daredevil found Ringmaster's hat and unhypnotized him. Which lead to Spider-Man taking the reigns and letting Daredevil go while he fought off all the people, de hypnotized them and got Ringmaster arrested.

It's also worth noting that while it wasn't pointed out to the characters themselves, there was an emphasis on the fact that Daredevil and Spidey both have heightened senses whether it's Daredevil's Radar sense or Spider-Man's Spider sense.

Altogether while the plot was extremely straightforward and ended on a somewhat bitter sweet note (Brant's likely still mad at Parker), it was still a fun and entertaining issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #787
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
If it'll make you happy, go for it.
Yeah, after a few days of looking for cheaper ones I ended up buying them.
Here's hoping they looks as good as their digital counterparts.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #788
The Shape
In the shadows

It's a great time to be a Shadow fan. Picked up The Shadow #1 this week -- the first of a new ongoing solo book -- and I'm very interested to see where this goes. Wasn't expecting the story to jump off in this manner.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #789
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I finished reading the Death of Superman yesterday, and I thought it was really really good.
Since I haven't read the previous or following issues to this story I have a few questions if anyone can answer;
Why was Supergirl hanging out with Lex and why did she change appearence after being clobbered by Doomsday?
Also (this wasn't obvious while reading the trade, but I read it on wiki) why were there 4 different Superman titles running at the same time back then?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #790
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I finished reading the Death of Superman yesterday, and I thought it was really really good.
Since I haven't read the previous or following issues to this story I have a few questions if anyone can answer;
Why was Supergirl hanging out with Lex and why did she change appearence after being clobbered by Doomsday?
Also (this wasn't obvious while reading the trade, but I read it on wiki) why were there 4 different Superman titles running at the same time back then?
This Supergirl is Matrix; since DC wanted their Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths Superman to be *literally* the Last Son of Krypton, they decreed there could be no more other Kryptonians. DC had this character, a kind of science creation with shape shifting powers from another dimension, cross over to their main universe and act as Supergirl. She's hanging out with Lex because he somehow won her friendship while still disguised as his son. Later, he betrays her and she flees, eventually bonding with a dying woman to become Peter David's Supergirl and hold down a successful solo series until DC decided to bring back Kara Zor-El.

And there were 4 different Siperman title because they were generally telling his story like a weekly, a concept expanded from the late Bronze Age. And that was also arguably the height of Superman's comic popularity; there simply were enough dedicated writers and artists to tell quality Superman stories on that scale, and enough readers to make that successful. He still had a larger profile and readership than Batman at the time. The next decade would se that slowly change.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #791
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
This Supergirl is Matrix; since DC wanted their Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths Superman to be *literally* the Last Son of Krypton, they decreed there could be no more other Kryptonians. DC had this character, a kind of science creation with shape shifting powers from another dimension, cross over to their main universe and act as Supergirl. She's hanging out with Lex because he somehow won her friendship while still disguised as his son. Later, he betrays her and she flees, eventually bonding with a dying woman to become Peter David's Supergirl and hold down a successful solo series until DC decided to bring back Kara Zor-El.

And there were 4 different Siperman title because they were generally telling his story like a weekly, a concept expanded from the late Bronze Age. And that was also arguably the height of Superman's comic popularity; there simply were enough dedicated writers and artists to tell quality Superman stories on that scale, and enough readers to make that successful. He still had a larger profile and readership than Batman at the time. The next decade would se that slowly change.

I wasn't aware of this version of Supergirl.

I see. Personally, as someone who's trying to catch up on reading old comics it can easily get confusing when one character has appeared in a multitude of different titles.
I assume these 4 titles weren't connected to each other? Other than this particular and other crossover arcs?

Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #792
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Well...

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, having been in the single digits at the time, but I know that at some point the Superman books entered the Triangle period, where they almost literally carried on into each other week-to-week. I may even own a 5th title they released strictly to fill out the few weeks in the year where the titles didn't; the issue has a little blurb that says something like "Finally! A Superman story for every week of the year!"

That's not to say they always acted as direct sequels to each other. But generally, if there was any single major event or idea, it would appear across all titles in chronological order.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #793
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I see. Appreciate the info

Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #794
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Back in June, Newsrama put up a list of the top 10 DC comic stories of all-time. The stories that made the list were voted for by readers of the site.

Quote:
Even though we at Newsarama are comic book experts, it’s hard to be objective when choosing the greatest DC Comics stories of all time – which is why we left the choices up to you, our loyal readers.

Through an open poll, we asked you, the Newsarama readers, to vote on your favorite DC Comics story ever written. With no rules and no limits, you placed your votes and decided on the definitive DC canon through the most democratic means possible.
We revisited our Marvel version of this list earlier this week– also decided by readers – and now we’re giving DC its due.
The stories on this list are all undeniable classics - but that doesn't mean there aren't a few surprises. Our voting process was all encompassing, allowing readers to vote on any story from DC history - including Vertigo, Elseworlds, and everything else under the DC umbrella. Nearly every prominent DC story of the last 50 years was represented on the list. Even dark horse candidates like Countdown and Our World At War received a smattering of votes.
In the end, the stories you chose encompass nearly every major modern DC creator, and the company's most iconic characters. We enlisted our Best Shots team to provide their takes on these most iconic stories. Without further ado, here are the ten best DC Comics stories of all time chosen by you, the readers.
Here is the list:

1. Kingdom Come
2. Crisis On Infinite Earths
3. The Great Darkness Saga
4. All-Star Superman
5. DC: The New Frontier
6. The Dark Knight Returns
7. Sinestro Corps War
8. The Judas Contract
9. The Return of Barry Allen
10. Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?

https://www.newsarama.com/29630-10-b...e-readers.html

Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #795
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Far from my personal list. The Return of Barry Allen? Really? The rest are pretty much the cookie cutter answers.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #796
geetard
Rebirth

Kurt Busiek will write Batman-themed spiritual successor to Superman: Secret Identity.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08...e-of-the-night

John Paul Leon's art...

Old 08-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #797
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Far from my personal list. The Return of Barry Allen? Really? The rest are pretty much the cookie cutter answers.
If this list I would agree with #1 and #10. They would be my bookends as well. I'd love to hear your list

Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #798
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
If this list I would agree with #1 and #10. They would be my bookends as well. I'd love to hear your list
Sure thing, just need to sit down and think about it for a bit.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #799
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
It really is cookie cutter. Not only that, The Return of Barry Allen is a great Flash story, but within the larger DC canon? Eeeeeh. Sometimes these lists make me wonder if DC really has that few truly great stories or if fans prefer living in a severely limited bubble. Where's Starman? Walter Simonson's Orion? Gotham Central straddles the line but it doesn't get nearly enough of the love it should.

However, I just re-read the Absolute edition of The New Frontier last night. It is truly a masterstroke of comics. That belongs on every list, within the top 5, every time.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #800
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

my current reading pile includes:

Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks
Silver Age Flash Omnibus
Golden Age Flash Gordon
Invisibles
Madwoman of the Sacred Heart
Cosmic Odyssey
Creepy Archives vol. 5