The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #76
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
No, this has not been confirmed at all.
I hope they confirm it.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #77
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Man View Post
Batfleck is comic booky Batman.

He's just not Silver Age comic booky Batman.
I don't recall comic booky Batman being a murderous psycho other than the first couple of issues where he operated in New York city?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #78
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
If there's any part of WW that should have been cut its the entire Ares final boss fight. Just end the movie when WW kills Danny Huston.
It shouldn't have been cut, just done properly. Ares should have been awesome.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #79
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, this has not been confirmed at all.
Reeves' wording is pretty unambiguous. It's standalone.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #80
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Can we really say that WW being great (well, at least the first two acts) is due to them learning the right lessons, or was it always going to be great regardless? Honest question because I don't know how much was changed after BvS and SS stumbled out of the gate.
They got out of Patty Jenkins' way for the most part and let her tell a standalone origin movie. Other than the (lame) wraparound set in modern day, it really isn't connected to the DCEU at all, and does not attempt to fan service with easter eggs and setting up sequels and prequels, and spin-offs, like BvS and Suicide Squad so horribly did.

I think they look now at WW as a standalone movie (for the most part) and one that does not play by the Snyder aesthetic for tone and world building. And they are going more in that direction. Yeah, I think there were some lessons learned.

--John Adams
Old 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #81
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Reeves' wording is pretty unambiguous. It's standalone.
So a month ago, on some podcast that apparently nobody listened to until now, Reeves decided to drop that major bomb? I don't buy it. It could still be the case, but I hope he clears it up.

Aziz
Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #82
CaptainWagner
Just Flying Around Queens

Quote:
I see zero people saying anything of the sort. Do you really not understand why people are criticizing this or are you just being obtuse?

They can't win because they've **** the bed too many times and now every move they make has the justified perception of being panicked and haphazard. Just look at the enormous amount of films they've got in various stages of development. They did this to themselves.

Can we really say that WW being great (well, at least the first two acts) is due to them learning the right lessons, or was it always going to be great regardless? Honest question because I don't know how much was changed after BvS and SS stumbled out of the gate.
What else are we supposed to think when anyone who tries to do a shared universe in a way different from Marvel is instantly branded "Haphazard", "Clueless", and "Doomed"? You look at their wide array of potential projects in development and establish beforehand that there way of doing things is "wrong". Personally, I for one am VERY happy that they're taking a more fluid approach to universe building that allows for more flexibility. I've yet to see any evidence that the Johns shakeup HASN'T changed things for the better. Is it really too much to wait and see how Justice League turns out before going back to the same old cries of "the DCEU is dead"?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #83
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's so weird that we only have TWO movies that are set in stone, Aquaman and Shazam. The latter can be removed on a whim as well.
Technically THREE. Wonder Woman 2 without a doubt is happening. Already has a release date and everything!

Quote:
Yeah for all the stir this is creating I'm honestly pretty skeptical that this will even see the light of day. Let's just go ahead and look at what they've got in the pipeline:

Aquaman
Flashpoint
The Batman
Justice League Pt. 2
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Dark Universe
Booster Gold
Lobo
Shazam
Gotham City Sirens
Man of Steel 2
Black Adam
Suicide Squad 2
Deadshot
Nightwing
Batgirl
Joker v Harley Quinn
Joker solo movie

Anything else I'm missing?
Yes! You left off the sequel to the DCEU's most successful film to date, Wonder Woman 2!!

7) Spider-Man 2 8)X2: X-Men United 9) X-Men: Days of Future Past
10)Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited by Juan1193; 08-23-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #84
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
What else are we supposed to think when anyone who tries to do a shared universe in a way different from Marvel is instantly branded "Haphazard", "Clueless", and "Doomed"?
But isn't that WB's fault for releasing MOS-BvS-SS to less than stellar reviews?

No one would be saying boo if they were better received by more of a consensus by critics and fans.

Quote:
You look at their wide array of potential projects in development and establish beforehand that there way of doing things is "wrong". Personally, I for one am VERY happy that they're taking a more fluid approach to universe building that allows for more flexibility. I've yet to see any evidence that the Johns shakeup HASN'T changed things for the better. Is it really too much to wait and see how Justice League turns out before going back to the same old cries of "the DCEU is dead"?
Again, I don't care how they do it as long as it's good. WW doesn't wash their hands of their previous 3 releases for me.

And their fluid approach seems to be more of a reactionary approach to what they are releasing than confidence in their product.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #85
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
What else are we supposed to think when anyone who tries to do a shared universe in a way different from Marvel is instantly branded "Haphazard", "Clueless", and "Doomed"? You look at their wide array of potential projects in development and establish beforehand that there way of doing things is "wrong". Personally, I for one am VERY happy that they're taking a more fluid approach to universe building that allows for more flexibility. I've yet to see any evidence that the Johns shakeup HASN'T changed things for the better. Is it really too much to wait and see how Justice League turns out before going back to the same old cries of "the DCEU is dead"?
If they did a good job of making their movies, people wouldn't criticize them (well, MOST people wouldn't). The problem is in the quality of the product. I don't mind if they change the tone or whatever. Just make a good frelling movie (like WW). Most people aren't criticizing that movie because it's good and don't care much about its differences or similarities from and to other movies. At least that's my sense of it.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 08-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #86
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
There is always a small minority supporting anything. There are people that love the Snyder DC films. There are people complaining about the Amazing Spider-Man series being cancelled (there was a thread posted in the Marvel forum on this board just last week). There are people who think the MCU is a massive failure on all levels.

It is a mistake to interpret everything you read as being a widespread opinion.

According to every reasonable metric (critical reviews, audience reviews, online polls, box office, etc.), the Nolan films were and remain very popular.
Wut he sayed.

I just watched TDK on TV the other night and still love it. Loved that segment where the Joker intros himself to all the crooks (thanks Suit Man for the reminder). Frelling brilliant.

EDIT: Oh yeah.....when someone puts in a performance on the level of Heath Ledger, we can start talking about CBM Oscars.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 08-23-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #87
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
There is always a small minority supporting anything. There are people that love the Snyder DC films. There are people complaining about the Amazing Spider-Man series being cancelled (there was a thread posted in the Marvel forum on this board just last week). There are people who think the MCU is a massive failure on all levels.

It is a mistake to interpret everything you read as being a widespread opinion.

According to every reasonable metric (critical reviews, audience reviews, online polls, box office, etc.), the Nolan films were and remain very popular.
Yes, TDKT is still the Holy Trilogy of CBMs. But that minority who wanted a change to a more comic booky Batman wasn't wrong. That was the natural direction for the character post Nolan and post Avengers.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #88
Flint Marko
teh marvel bias

Quote:
What else are we supposed to think when anyone who tries to do a shared universe in a way different from Marvel is instantly branded "Haphazard", "Clueless", and "Doomed"?
Again, I don't even know who you're talking about. I personally just used those words in regards to WB's slate and can back up why I feel that way, and it has nothing to do with the fact that they're simply trying to do something different than Marvel. Trying to argue otherwise is flat out disingenuous.

Quote:
You look at their wide array of potential projects in development and establish beforehand that there way of doing things is "wrong".
Because anyone with eyes can see that "their way of doing things" is just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. Moreover, 3/4 films they've made so far have been poorly received so I'm not even sure why this needs to be explained to you. I'm almost positive that you and I have had this discussion before, so please quit pretending like it's our fault that their "plan" isn't being embraced.

Quote:
Personally, I for one am VERY happy that they're taking a more fluid approach to universe building that allows for more flexibility.
Like it all you want but call it like it is: they're able to have a "fluid" plan because they don't really have a plan.

Quote:
I've yet to see any evidence that the Johns shakeup HASN'T changed things for the better. Is it really too much to wait and see how Justice League turns out before going back to the same old cries of "the DCEU is dead"?
JL looks to be mediocre at best, and their proposed Elseworld's imprint isn't a sign of confidence. So no, even though I never said that "the DCEU is dead", I think we can draw reasonable conclusions now.

Homecoming - 7.7.2017

Last edited by Flint Marko; 08-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #89
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
Considering WB wanted to cut the No Man's Land scene, I would say WW succeeded despite WB.
Has it ever been explained why they wanted to cut that scene? I'mm struggling to think what could've been wrong with it.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 08-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #90
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner
Those words are generally used for companies like Sony that try to do it without the characters that could actually make it work. Not WB/DC. There is no reason a DCEU shouldn't be able to work other than just standard mismanagement.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #91
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
Has it ever been explained why they wanted to cut that scene? I'mm struggling to think what could've been wrong with it.
It's completely and utterly baffling to me. Oh wait.....I can think of a reason....some people at WB know less about what works in a movie than I do.

Now we know.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 08-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #92
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well that's all well and good but...

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/sh...et-of-the-apes

Quote:
“Well, I have a vision for a way to do something with that character that feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow out into other things. When they [Warner Bros.] approached me, what they said was ‘look, it’s a standalone, it’s not part of the extended universe.'”

Old 08-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #93
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Quote:
Yeah for all the stir this is creating I'm honestly pretty skeptical that this will even see the light of day. Let's just go ahead and look at what they've got in the pipeline:

Aquaman
Flashpoint
The Batman
Justice League Pt. 2
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Dark Universe
Booster Gold
Lobo
Shazam
Gotham City Sirens
Man of Steel 2
Black Adam
Suicide Squad 2
Deadshot
Nightwing
Batgirl
Joker v Harley Quinn
Joker solo movie

Anything else I'm missing?
That list is poppycock.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #94
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

balderdash!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #95
The Fact
Side-Kick

I've seen a sentiment on this site and others, that DC/WB would be better off doing stand alone movies rather than this whole shared universe concept because the stand alones were so much better.

I disagree.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with either approach (standalone movies/trilogies vs shared universe) but the idea that DC/WB were doing so much better quality wise before the DCEU is kinda ridiculous to me. Sure you had the Dark Knight Trilogy (which I don't hold that high in regard but whatever) but besides that were things really that much better? You were getting movies like Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Catwoman, Steel, etc. The idea that bad DC movies are a recent phenomenon strikes me as odd. I get that the recent movies have been bad as well, possibly even the worst (a sentiment I do actually agree with) but thinking that things will magically get better because things don't have to be "connected" anymore seems silly to me.

My point is the problem is with management not method.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #96
Limonade
Side-Kick

I mean. If you look at how much Batman does solo and how much Wonder Woman solo. I think WB is starting to rethink their approach on team movie as whole.

Why condense all your best heroes into one movie which might not make as much as one solo Superhero movie? Multiple stand-alones are better than a bunch of team-ups.

I am speculating here.

After all, Marvel can get away with it because they turned their C list characters in grade-A franchises and still could combine them into a formidable box office juggernaut. That's my take at least, from what's being released.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #97
mclay18
Side-Kick

One SHH! mod thinks that WB won't move ahead with Matt Reeves' Batfleck solo film. Uh, what?

Reeves has a solid track record and fought for creative control during negotiations. They'd be a fool to let him walk away, they need to keep him like they are for Patty Jenkins.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #98
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
Has it ever been explained why they wanted to cut that scene? I'm struggling to think what could've been wrong with it.
1) There's nothing wrong with it. They're idiots.

2) Some wise guy figured they'd perhaps get another showing in everyday by cutting that scene.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Wonder Woman is an 800 million dollar movie, and it made that money without the help of any other DC heroes. Booyah!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #99
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
So a month ago, on some podcast that apparently nobody listened to until now, Reeves decided to drop that major bomb? I don't buy it. It could still be the case, but I hope he clears it up.
It's only a bomb if people take notice of it. This interview clearly slipped under the radar until the Joker news broke.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #100
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Anna Diop to play Starfire on Titans series

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08...?sf108717284=1

Closed Thread