The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Box Office battle between Thor 3 and Justice League, who wins
Thor 58 56.31%
Justice League 45 43.69%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #76
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Default Re: Box Office Battle -- Thor Ragnarok vs. Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Justice league wins.
InCali sayedz "The fact that we're even talking about the BO of TR and JL in the same sentence is rather remarkable." Pre BvS, the Mods might not have allowed this thread. , but you get my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuron View Post
The fact that it had a record opening, then a record 81% Friday-to-Friday drop in its second week shows that the "actual paying public" tended to agree with the "paid & employed" critics.
I'm gonna have to sic my attorney on you and Darth for infringement of intellectual property. "That being said, I think the public reception of it was quite a bit cooler than tepid, lukewarm, etc. The drops were rather astounding and that is telling." OK, maybe I don't have a case, but I'm looking into it.

BO comparisons between Thor and Batman, Superman, or JL wouldn't be subject to discussion if everyone had done their jobs. Movie wise, WB has dropped the ball on this particular measure.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #77
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Are you kidding? WB's marketing did their job and then some. Not their fault Snyder couldn't keep it up...

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #78
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
Are you kidding? WB's marketing did their job and then some. Not their fault Snyder couldn't keep it up...
From a marketing perspective, that might be true, but, ultimately, this falls on the shoulders of WB. They were the ones who hired Snyder, must have had input along the way, and are the ones who released the various "cuts" of the movie. They don't get a complete pass on it.

Snyder screwed up...so did WB. The big picture of DCEU, at this point anyway, is a mess and a lot of people played a part in it.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 04-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #79
Samuron
Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
I'm gonna have to sic my attorney on you and Darth for infringement of intellectual property.
Good luck; my paid shill contract affords me the protection of Disney's legal department.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #80
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
Batman, Superman and WW are the marquee characters here. It's the cast of BvS, but we've also thrown in Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg. BvS should have made more.
But the three of them were all in BvS as well and it didn't hit $1 billion. Adding the other three likely won't make much of a difference. Aquaman has never been that popular; in fact, casting Momoa was an effort to change public perception that the character is a joke. The Flash has his fans and might give a slight boost to the box office but no one has seen this version of the character so it's unlikely to impact the box office too much (again, this is why doing a solo film before the big team up is a good idea). And most people have never even heard of Cyborg. Hell, I've been a D.C. Fan for 30+ years and I think I've only read a few comics where he appears.

Now, it's possible Wonder Woman will be a huge success and I could see JL getting a boost from that. But if that's the case, I foresee a lot of the talk being about how these characters can really flourish if you just remove Zack Snyder. One of the reasons I plan on seeing WW is the fact that it doesn't look like a dour CGI mess like most of Snyder's efforts.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #81
Silver Surfer
Power Cosmic

Man, if Justice League, the DC holy grail, can't beat the final entry to Marvel's weakest sub-trilogy, that might be the final nail in the Marvel/DC war for this generation.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #82
writer0327
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Man, if Justice League, the DC holy grail, can't beat the final entry to Marvel's weakest sub-trilogy, that might be the final nail in the Marvel/DC war for this generation.
That nail has already been hammered in firmly. Marvel won going away.

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 4. Justice League - 5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Wonder Woman - 7. Blade Runner: 2049 - 8. Logan - 9. The Great Wall - 10. It
writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #83
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
But the three of them were all in BvS as well and it didn't hit $1 billion. Adding the other three likely won't make much of a difference. Aquaman has never been that popular; in fact, casting Momoa was an effort to change public perception that the character is a joke. The Flash has his fans and might give a slight boost to the box office but no one has seen this version of the character so it's unlikely to impact the box office too much (again, this is why doing a solo film before the big team up is a good idea). And most people have never even heard of Cyborg. Hell, I've been a D.C. Fan for 30+ years and I think I've only read a few comics where he appears.

Now, it's possible Wonder Woman will be a huge success and I could see JL getting a boost from that. But if that's the case, I foresee a lot of the talk being about how these characters can really flourish if you just remove Zack Snyder. One of the reasons I plan on seeing WW is the fact that it doesn't look like a dour CGI mess like most of Snyder's efforts.

That's kinda what I meant. BvS takes the shine out of the JL by being a mini JL.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #84
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
That's kinda what I meant. BvS takes the shine out of the JL by being a mini JL.
Oh sh** dude, I'm sorry. I read your post so fast that I missed the last line about how BvS should have made more. I thought you were saying JL would definitely make more by adding the other characters. My bad.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #85
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Neither of the Thor movies have beaten ANY of the DCU movies thus far, so with that in mind, i think the novelty of the JL getting together for the first time on the big screen outweighs anything Ragnarok has to offer...

Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #86
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Langstrom View Post
Neither of the Thor movies have beaten ANY of the DCU movies thus far, so with that in mind, i think the novelty of the JL getting together for the first time on the big screen outweighs anything Ragnarok has to offer...
You "might" be right, but my point is that this thread shouldn't even exist.The relative BO numbers of each movie shouldn't be in question. If everyone had done their jobs, the numbers would be a foregone conclusion.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #87
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

I think Justice League is being over predicted by DC fans who are ignoring the rancid reception that bvs received and I think that Thor Ragnarok is being over predicted by Marvel fans because of the record trailer views thing that mean something but not as much as fans think because if it did then Fifty Shades Darker would have Out gross Star Wars the Force Awakens worldwide. Do I think that Thor Ragnarok could out gross Justice League? Of course it could, easily. I'll wait and see how Wonder Woman does and is recieved before making that prediction.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #88
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

As impossible as it sounds, it would be great if they made the exact same money. Just loved to see what that led to.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #89
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Right now, and I might change my after Wonder Woman comes out, I think their grosses are going to be pretty close either way. I don't think there's going to be a blowout from either film.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 05-09-2017 at 03:36 AM.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:34 AM   #90
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
And most people have never even heard of Cyborg. Hell, I've been a D.C. Fan for 30+ years and I think I've only read a few comics where he appears.
Cyborg is a big name for kids and teens. The two Teen Titans shows have been hugely successful with that demographic, and he's the only Titan to have "graduated" to JL status in the New 52/DCYou. He'll draw some interest there.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #91
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Right now, and I might change my after Wonder Woman comes out, I think their grosses are going to be pretty close either way. I don't think there's going to be a blowout from either film.
Same. I voted for Justice League because I think Batman will be enough to put it a bit over if it is even the slightest bit better than the last film (and it would be hard not to be). Thor has Marvel, but the previous Thor movies haven't been that popular so I could see it doing in the Doctor Strange range.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #92
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Well right now JL looks terrible and Thor Rag. looks terrific, but that's just in advertising. Both films are going to be really dependent on good reviews and WoM because of previous installments. Thor has the upper hand because generally the Marvel films have fared better.

I think it will be close but I'm edging toward Thor as it looks like the better film.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #93
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I hope Thor takes it, but I expect JL will edge it out ever so slightly
Not that there's much "novelty" left after BvS, nor do I think JL will be any good at all, but the DC fans will lead the hype train to at least $900m, which could be tough for Hemsworth and RuffaHulk to match

Old 05-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #94
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Well right now JL looks terrible and Thor Rag. looks terrific, but that's just in advertising. Both films are going to be really dependent on good reviews and WoM because of previous installments. Thor has the upper hand because generally the Marvel films have fared better.

I think it will be close but I'm edging toward Thor as it looks like the better film.
I have little doubt Thor 3 will be the better movie. That just doesn't always translate to box office. On the other hand, Marvel's success is why it will even be close. If the DCEU was producing these good films and the MCU stank to high heaven, this wouldn't even be in question. It really shouldn't be in question now. JL should make 1-1.5 billion easy based on the value of the property. It won't, but that's what it should be doing.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #95
Sithborg
The new ewoks

A lot depends on WB's marketing. They have done some amazing jobs these past few years (Godzilla, Kong, BvS, Suicide Squad), but there are limits.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #96
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
A lot depends on WB's marketing. They have done some amazing jobs these past few years (Godzilla, Kong, BvS, Suicide Squad), but there are limits.
The big issue being that the previous film came out just last year. I doubt there is a huge untapped audience out there for Justice League that had no interest in going to see Batman v Superman.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #97
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel plenty of people want yet another sensation with Snyder and JL. Low BO, devastating critical reception and stuff like that. For fun's sake.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #98
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah like pilfering tweets from overzealous fanboys and using them as part of their ad campaign. Not only was the desperate but it was simultaneously ingenious. WB gave zero f****

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #99
Ultimate Thor
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
Cyborg is a big name for kids and teens. The two Teen Titans shows have been hugely successful with that demographic, and he's the only Titan to have "graduated" to JL status in the New 52/DCYou. He'll draw some interest there.
He really isn't. People couldn't care less about Cyborg, and that applies to Aquaman too.

Ultimate Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #100
Drizzle
Ah, Goldblum, ah, Smash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Langstrom View Post
Part of the novelty is already gone since the Trinity (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman), arguably the most famous of the Justice League by a wide margin, already got together in BvS. And it doesn't help that Superman has been absent from virtually all marketing for JL so far.

Also, neither of the previous Thor movies had Hulk in it. While we've seen them fight before, it's safe to assume that Ragnarok will do much better than the first two Thor movies.

To think, if Marvel hadn't got the rights to Spider-Man back, Black Panther would have still been in the November slot and this thread wouldn't have existed.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote