The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Box Office battle between Thor 3 and Justice League, who wins
Thor 58 56.31%
Justice League 45 43.69%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #51
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Default Re: Box Office Battle -- Thor Ragnarok vs. Justice League

You mean like Cinemascore that gave the same score as Green Lantern?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 AM   #52
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
You mean like Cinemascore that gave the same score as Green Lantern?
I've never used that site, but the likes of IMDb, Metacritic & even Rotten Tomatoes user reviews in which I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands, the last time I checked the movie was getting 6's & 7's out of 10 (60% - 70% out of 100%).

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 AM   #53
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Is it? I'm talking about the actual paying public's reviews & thoughts which ultimately are the driving force behind any potential box office numbers moreso than what a paid & employed critic thinks.
And as the box office showed, the reviews were not good from the public. Hence the very poor legs.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #54
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
And as the box office showed, the reviews were not good from the public. Hence the very poor legs.
The public's perception seemed to be exactly the way I originally worded it in my initial post, lukewarm, which as you say contributed to it not having good legs in it's BO run.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #55
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
The public's perception seemed to be exactly the way I originally worded it in my initial post, lukewarm, which as you say contributed to it not having good legs in it's BO run.
Lukewarm would have lead to better legs. It had under a 2x multiplier domestically.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #56
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Lukewarm would have lead to better legs. It had under a 2x multiplier domestically.
No not at all, your definition of lukewarm must differ from mine, for a movie to have legs to carry it longer at the BO it would need to be a lot more positive than simply lukewarm.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:58 AM   #57
GeckoMoria
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
I believe that even the general audience views mcu as a movie series. Many people are slightly disappointed with Gotg2 and Spider-Man could be great or also disappointing. Those two movies might hurt Thor's chances just as Wonder Woman could hurt JL's. And of course improve as well.
Are you making this up? Who is disappointed? The movies has gotten good reviews and is certified fresh.

GeckoMoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #58
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
I've never used that site, but the likes of IMDb, Metacritic & even Rotten Tomatoes user reviews in which I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands, the last time I checked the movie was getting 6's & 7's out of 10 (60% - 70% out of 100%).
If you read a little deeper, for sites like IMDB and RT, the only ones with lower scores than BvS are SS, Green Lantern, Fant4stic.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #59
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoMoria View Post
Are you making this up? Who is disappointed? The movies has gotten good reviews and is certified fresh.
Those first reviews, I didn't read them all, but the vibe I got from them said that Vol 2 is indeed a good movie, but not as good as reviewers expected based on the first one.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #60
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

Meanwhile Vol.2 in general is getting more than enough praise with its reviews. Lets not start spreading false/misinformed information.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #61
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Hundreds of thousands (of which many are fanboys that voted 9 or 10/10 before the movie even released) vs the entire movie going audience (the actual box office numbers).

Quote:
No not at all, your definition of lukewarm must differ from mine, for a movie to have legs to carry it longer at the BO it would need to be a lot more positive than simply lukewarm.
Definition of "lukewarm": only moderately warm; tepid

Thor: The Dark World recieved lukewarm reviews. BvS was panned, and the Box Office (i.e. the reaction of the general audience) reflected that.

Swallow flies south before the fall, before the winter can call...
Can call in each borrower - for what was given

--Serenity in Motion--
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #62
Bats123
Master Chief

Justice League. Why? simple, the title says JUSTICE LEAGUE. Casual moviegoers are gonna see it no matter what, its gonna hit a billion, it has 4 weeks to itself before Star Wars comes out, BUT i also believe Ragnarok will make bank, 850-900 million, for sure.

Bats123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #63
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bats123 View Post
Justice League. Why? simple, the title says JUSTICE LEAGUE. Casual moviegoers are gonna see it no matter what, its gonna hit a billion
Familiar words. Where have we heard them before? Oh yes pre BvS release when everyone thought the combo of Batman and Superman is a guaranteed billion dollar maker.

And it didn't even get close, and that was with no competition in March to April for weeks.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #64
Bats123
Master Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Familiar words. Where have we heard them before? Oh yes pre BvS release when everyone thought the combo of Batman and Superman is a guaranteed billion dollar maker.

And it didn't even get close, and that was with no competition in March to April for weeks.
Hey, im just saying, not a fan of the DCEU myself but, maybe the added roster of Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg plus those trailers with the lighter tone might attract more people. Btw, the Transformers movies, they keep getting bigger overseas, might be a similar case with JL.
Although it'd be amazing if Ragnarok managed to outgross them.

Bats123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #65
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

But by that logic shouldn't BvS have been well over a billion just for Batman being in it alone, since his last two solo movies both made a billion. Ergo it should have gotten even bigger being a Batman brand movie. Adding Superman to the mix should have been an even further boost. But it never came within an inch of it. And with no competition in theaters for weeks.

It was pathetic.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #66
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Batman, Superman and WW are the marquee characters here. It's the cast of BvS, but we've also thrown in Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg. BvS should have made more.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #67
GeckoMoria
Banned User

I voted for JL only because it's the best card WB has for their universe and it will take their biggest guns to outgross the MCU. I don't expect any DCEU movie to come close to Avengers numbers but JL will outgross Ragnarok. Not that it will be anything to gloat.

GeckoMoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #68
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Justice League. Why? simple, the title says JUSTICE LEAGUE. Casual moviegoers are gonna see it no matter what, its gonna hit a billion, it has 4 weeks to itself before Star Wars comes out, BUT i also believe Ragnarok will make bank, 850-900 million, for sure.
Maybe in america. Most of the casual moviegoers i know haven't got a clue who the justice league is. Tbf not many knew who the avengers were but because iron man was so good they got into it. Avengers was unique. 4 film characters coming together. Justice league isn't unique and they have already seen bats, supes and ww in a film that many didn't like.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #69
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, The Wolverine all received lukewarm reviews. BvS was panned. You can say the moon is made out of cheese, but...yeah.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #70
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
Maybe in america. Most of the casual moviegoers i know haven't got a clue who the justice league is. Tbf not many knew who the avengers were but because iron man was so good they got into it.
I'm in the UK and that's certainly true here.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #71
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

Quote:
Aww, you have so much to learn.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #72
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Quote:
BvS. Why? simple, the title says BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. Casual moviegoers are gonna see it no matter what, its gonna hit a billion, it has 4 weeks to itself before Civil War comes out, BUT i also believe Civil War will make bank, 850-900 million, for sure.
2016 version.

And as a friendly reminder what movie took out BvS from #1. The Boss.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #73
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
I liked BvS OK. I didn't think it was great, but didn't dislike it as much as some. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting a Nolan quality movie to begin with. That being said, I think the public reception of it was quite a bit cooler than tepid, lukewarm, etc. The drops were rather astounding and that is telling.

I think IM2 and TDW got tepid receptions. Thor benefited from the Avengers. Let's face it, BvS clearly under performed considering who the characters were. The fact that we're even talking about the BO of TR and JL in the same sentence is rather remarkable.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #74
the last son
Side-Kick

Justice league wins.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #75
Samuron
Reprint

Quote:
Is it? I'm talking about the actual paying public's reviews & thoughts which ultimately are the driving force behind any potential box office numbers moreso than what a paid & employed critic thinks.
The fact that it had a record opening, then a record 81% Friday-to-Friday drop in its second week shows that the "actual paying public" tended to agree with the "paid & employed" critics.