The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Box Office battle between Thor 3 and Justice League, who wins
Thor 58 56.31%
Justice League 45 43.69%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #376
Flint Marko
teh marvel bias

Default Re: Box Office Battle -- Thor Ragnarok vs. Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
That, and Thor: Dark World really hurt the Thor franchise.
Did it though? It received decent reviews, made decent money, and the sequel is having no problems garnering significant buzz. Doesn't seem like a franchise that is hurting, just one that has room for improvement.

Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #377
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I suspect its going to turn out Thor 2 won't have much effect. Sure, it was kind of crappy, but it was also a decent number of years ago, so its not at the forefront. Combine that with the marketing campaign that makes it *very* obvious that Thor 3 is going in different stylistic directions, and its pretty much free to go.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #378
HammerDown
High Tide Or Low Tide

A while back people we're super surprised with the amount of views the trailer for IT had in 24 hours (#1 of all time with 197M) but they almost entirely discarted that has having an impact in the box office results. The truth was that particular trailer did indeed generate a lot of buzz for the movie at the time and now after a big number of reviews dropped and the critics really liked it (88% on RT) the interest in the movie went in some kind of frenzy and box office records we're broken.

For a R Rated movie, IT ended up having an absolutely insane OW of 117M ! Needless to say that this IT movie is a monster hit of all standards let alone the horror genre and the R-Rated type. Interestingly enough the Box Office Pro first and early estimate for IT was 40M OW and a DOM total of 100M.

Now let's bring in Thor Ragnarok to the mix and make some interesting comparisons and parallels with IT. Thor Ragnarok also had a thunderous success with it's first Trailer (#3 of all time with 136M views in 24 hours). The buzz generated was also huge and that has carried on with the second trailer as well and everything since. In terms of RT rating that's all a guessing game at this point but Taika Waititi movies are generally very well received by critics with his 2 previous movies WWDITS and HFTWP having ratings of 96 and 97% respectively.

Thor Ragnarok is not a R-Rated movie so the general "appeal" will also be naturally larger meaning the movie will be able to cast his net to a wider audience. Thor Ragnarok BOP early estimates are 100M OW and 250M DOM. Imo those estimates are underestimating this movie and it's stellar marketing campaign and general audience awareness.

As a final example and accordingly to BOP early estimate... Wonder Woman - 83M OW and 225M DOM. In the end of the day WW had a OW of 103M and a DOM total of "404M". All this to say that the early predictions for Thor Ragnarok are not so clear cut and there's definitely plenty of room for improvement as the movie draws closer to it's release date and the marketing ramps up it's efforts.

HammerDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #379
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

$117 million opening weekend for a non-superhero movie? So much for the claim the Warner Bros. doesn't know what they are doing. With Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, Annabelle, and now It, Warner Bros. has had some massive hits so far this year.
I expect Justice League to open big too, especially with how it will be played up that Wonder Woman is in it. Not sure about Thor though. Is Iron man in it to spice things up?

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #380
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Did it though? It received decent reviews, made decent money, and the sequel is having no problems garnering significant buzz. Doesn't seem like a franchise that is hurting, just one that has room for improvement.
TDW failed to elevate Thor to Iron Man and Captain America status, hence the longer interval between the 2nd & 3rd films in the sequence.

Maybe it "received decent reviews" upon arrival, but it hasn't weathered the years since too favorably. The film became a wellspring of derisive humor.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #381
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
$117 million opening weekend for a non-superhero movie? So much for the claim the Warner Bros. doesn't know what they are doing. With Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, Annabelle, and now It, Warner Bros. has had some massive hits so far this year.
I expect Justice League to open big too, especially with how it will be played up that Wonder Woman is in it. Not sure about Thor though. Is Iron man in it to spice things up?
No, but the "Starkcerer Supreme" is, i.e. Benedict Strange.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #382
Finarfiniel
#TeamHela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Man View Post
TDW failed to elevate Thor to Iron Man and Captain America status, hence the longer interval between the 2nd & 3rd films in the sequence.

Maybe it "received decent reviews" upon arrival, but it hasn't weathered the years since too favorably. The film became a wellspring of derisive humor.
Heh, talking about wellsprings of derisive humour, the general response to TDW was hugely favourable to the response to BvS, of which Justice League is the direct sequel, so I'm not really sure what your point is here. If you have any, that is.

I doubt a majority of the GA even remember TDW that well, it was released over four years ago and anyone with eyes can see that Ragnarok is diverting from TDW in a massive way, so it's highly unlikely that TDW will effect the box office of Ragnarok at all. On the other hand, BvS is a lot fresher in people's memories and, other than a slight sprinkling of humour throughout the trailers, JL looks very much to be of a similar style to BvS, so if anything you could say that BvS is much more likely to hurt JL's box office than TDW will Ragnarok's. You can argue that WW will help JL, just as on the other hand you could also argue that every MCU film released since TDW (and the Marvel brand in general) will help Ragnarok. So, again... the point is?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #383
Finarfiniel
#TeamHela

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
A while back people we're super surprised with the amount of views the trailer for IT had in 24 hours (#1 of all time with 197M) but they almost entirely discarted that has having an impact in the box office results. The truth was that particular trailer did indeed generate a lot of buzz for the movie at the time and now after a big number of reviews dropped and the critics really liked it (88% on RT) the interest in the movie went in some kind of frenzy and box office records we're broken.

For a R Rated movie, IT ended up having an absolutely insane OW of 117M ! Needless to say that this IT movie is a monster hit of all standards let alone the horror genre and the R-Rated type. Interestingly enough the Box Office Pro first and early estimate for IT was 40M OW and a DOM total of 100M.

Now let's bring in Thor Ragnarok to the mix and make some interesting comparisons and parallels with IT. Thor Ragnarok also had a thunderous success with it's first Trailer (#3 of all time with 136M views in 24 hours). The buzz generated was also huge and that has carried on with the second trailer as well and everything since. In terms of RT rating that's all a guessing game at this point but Taika Waititi movies are generally very well received by critics with his 2 previous movies WWDITS and HFTWP having ratings of 96 and 97% respectively.

Thor Ragnarok is not a R-Rated movie so the general "appeal" will also be naturally larger meaning the movie will be able to cast his net to a wider audience. Thor Ragnarok BOP early estimates are 100M OW and 250M DOM. Imo those estimates are underestimating this movie and it's stellar marketing campaign and general audience awareness.

As a final example and accordingly to BOP early estimate... Wonder Woman - 83M OW and 225M DOM. In the end of the day WW had a OW of 103M and a DOM total of "404M". All this to say that the early predictions for Thor Ragnarok are not so clear cut and there's definitely plenty of room for improvement as the movie draws closer to it's release date and the marketing ramps up it's efforts.
This? This is why you're awesome, HD.

It makes me laugh thinking about the people who were convinced that social media buzz and trailer views don't translate into box office receipts after the insane opening weekend that 'IT' has just had. Huh? What was that now?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #384
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Doh Re: Box Office Battle -- Thor Ragnarok vs. Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfiniel View Post
Heh, talking about wellsprings of derisive humour, the general response to TDW was hugely favourable to the response to BvS, of which Justice League is the direct sequel, so I'm not really sure what your point is here. If you have any, that is.

I doubt a majority of the GA even remember TDW that well, it was released over four years ago and anyone with eyes can see that Ragnarok is diverting from TDW in a massive way, so it's highly unlikely that TDW will effect the box office of Ragnarok at all. On the other hand, BvS is a lot fresher in people's memories and, other than a slight sprinkling of humour throughout the trailers, JL looks very much to be of a similar style to BvS, so if anything you could say that BvS is much more likely to hurt JL's box office than TDW will Ragnarok's. You can argue that WW will help JL, just as on the other hand you could also argue that every MCU film released since TDW (and the Marvel brand in general) will help Ragnarok. So, again... the point is?
It's so funny how you get worked up over any anti-MCU sentiment, no matter how marginal.

I wasn't drawing a Thor/MCU/Marvel vs BvS/Snyder/DCEU/WB/etc. argument, I was simply stating a fact: TDW is roundly-soundly "celebrated" as being the MCU's worst offering. You want to debate that?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #385
Finarfiniel
#TeamHela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Man View Post
It's so funny how you get worked up over any anti-MCU sentiment, no matter how marginal.

I wasn't drawing a Thor/MCU/Marvel vs BvS/Snyder/DCEU/WB/etc. argument, I was simply stating a fact: TDW is roundly-soundly "celebrated" as being the MCU's worst offering. You want to debate that?
Where exactly was I getting worked up? Last time I checked, this is a forum for discussion and debate and this is a thread to argue what film will make more money at the box office, Thor: Ragnarok or Justice League, so a comparison between the MCU and the DCEU's cinematic outputs thus far is clearly going to come into play. I can debate TDW being the MCU's worst offering if I wish to, because that is opinion not fact. I don't really have any desire to though, especially with you.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #386
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfiniel View Post
I don't really have any desire to though, especially with you.
Nothing short of revelatory.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #387
Black Narcissus
Pimp a Butterfly

Bald Joss Whedon breaks through the box office door with Stone Cold Steve Austin theme playing in the background.

*Feminist 3:16*

He proceeds to bald stunner the blonde Thor Fabio and the bald mouse errand boy Feige.

Jim Ross: Oh the humanity! By God, Count Faster! Put Them out of Their Misery!"

Snyder appears from behind the stage and chokes slams bald Whedon into a cement wall.

JL:801million
Ragnarok:800million

Black Narcissus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #388
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #389
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I expect it to be about even.
That's the most likely scenario. I could see either getting a slight upper hand at the BO. However, the one scenario I can't imagine is JL stomping Ragnarok.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 AM   #390
jmc
away for a while

If they are forecasting $100m+ this far out I've got to start wondering if it's actually possible Thor opens better than JL. A year ago I wouldn't have predicted Ragnarok opening that big, but frankly nothing is off the table at the moment.

jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #391
HammerDown
High Tide Or Low Tide

Thor Ragnarok is not going to open bigger than JL. That would shock me. It doesn't need to, it just needs to open big on it's own and it will surely do that. My early prediction has always been for a 120M OW for TR which would be huge but still it can do better, we just don't know and we are theorizing at this point. If the massive buzz created by a really strong marketing campaign is to be believed and translated into box office results then Thor Ragnarok like "IT" will end up surprising a lot of people.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #392
jmc
away for a while

As far as I'm concerned the rule book needs to be thrown out for this situation because Thor is garnering as much, if not more buzz than JL. I know DC has the more iconic characters and is coming off the back of WW but the reality is JL isn't generating the level of excitement it probably should be generating this close to release where as Thor seems to have a hype train that's getting progressively bigger. All bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Just to add, the marketing for these two films are going to overlap at some point, and this is where JL runs into potential problems. People are going to compare the two films whether we like it or not being so close together.

Last edited by jmc; 09-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #393
KBX
Side-Kick

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/07/thor...ndango-survey/

You know last month I was convinced JL will win the box office. Now I am 80% sure

Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #394
Drseuss
Side-Kick

Shakespearean thor doesnt work...lets turn him into another starlord

Drseuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #395
Zarex
Side-Kick

Their predictions are definitely hit or miss, but Box Office Pro's Long Range Forecast has JL winning this battle in a landslide:

T:R - $100M OW / $250M DOM
JL - $150M OW / $330M DOM

The JL totals look pretty solid - Wondy's success helps out a lot here - but I think Thor will come a lot closer than this estimate due to the fantastic trailers, the new cast additions and all the popular returning characters. We shall see.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-...e-star-wonder/

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #396
Sithborg
The new ewoks

That is an optimistic multiplier for a Snyder film.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #397
The Endless
WE are Groot

Yea unless JL is actually great... I can't see it having legs.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #398
HammerDown
High Tide Or Low Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Their predictions are definitely hit or miss, but Box Office Pro's Long Range Forecast has JL winning this battle in a landslide:

T:R - $100M OW / $250M DOM
JL - $150M OW / $330M DOM

The JL totals look pretty solid - Wondy's success helps out a lot here - but I think Thor will come a lot closer than this estimate due to the fantastic trailers, the new cast additions and all the popular returning characters. We shall see.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-...e-star-wonder/
Agree with your assessment there.

The JL prediction sounds about right but the TR one is underestimating all the buzz generated by the successful marketing campaign and great reception this movie has going for it. The Ragnarok numbers have much more room for improvement. We shall see what the future and box office results hold, TR release is just around the corner and as we get closer to that more concrete and reliable information about box office results will appear.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #399
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Correction, it has JL winning *domestically*. Not the same as "winning".

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #400
brandeezy89
Side-Kick

Box Office Pro has under predicted every DCEU movie so far so i'm taking JL on this one.

https://brandonthevigilante.wordpress.com
brandeezy89 is offline   Reply With Quote