The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #251
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films - Part 1

CBM's were pretty good this year, but overall I feel this year has sucked rocks for movies. I haven't seen "It" yet, which I heard is really good, and Baby Driver was probably the best non-CBM release. Overall though this has been a terrible year for movies and the results have reflected at the box office.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #252
P Supreme
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
This year didn't feel like we had a truly stand-out CBM (...yet).
Logan? that movie hits all the feels

P Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #253
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Supreme View Post
Logan? that movie hits all the feels
The one you quoted stated more than once that the movie in discussion did not have the same effect on him.

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #254
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
CBM's were pretty good this year, but overall I feel this year has sucked rocks for movies. I haven't seen "It" yet, which I heard is really good, and Baby Driver was probably the best non-CBM release. Overall though this has been a terrible year for movies and the results have reflected at the box office.
It's been a terrible year for franchise movies (save for Wonder Woman, Logan, and the MCU, ironically enough after all the shouts of "superhero fatigue").

But in terms of non-superhero fare? We have seen as bonafide hits that are also really great smaller gems like Get Out, It (as you mentioned), Split, Baby Driver, and even carryover hits from last December like La La Land and Hidden Figures. Plus for big movies that are great and did great business, we had Dunkirk.

Actually, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a great year for movies. The ones that are turning it into a box office drag that flopped almost* all sucked. (Pirates 5, Transformers 5, The Mummy, King Arthur, and whatever else I'm forgetting).

*It's a shame War for the Planet of the Apes underperformed as it was really well done. And on a "small movie" note, I am saddened that Detroit flopped, because that movie was an intense pressure cooker that should be seen.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #255
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
It's been a terrible year for franchise movies (save for Wonder Woman, Logan, and the MCU, ironically enough after all the shouts of "superhero fatigue").
That gets a good snicker from me.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #256
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

But in terms of non-superhero fare? We have seen as bonafide hits that are also really great smaller gems like Get Out, It (as you mentioned), Split, Baby Driver, and even carryover hits from last December like La La Land and Hidden Figures. Plus for big movies that are great and did great business, we had Dunkirk.

Actually, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a great year for movies. The ones that are turning it into a box office drag that flopped almost* all sucked. (Pirates 5, Transformers 5, The Mummy, King Arthur, and whatever else I'm forgetting).

*It's a shame War for the Planet of the Apes underperformed as it was really well done. And on a "small movie" note, I am saddened that Detroit flopped, because that movie was an intense pressure cooker that should be seen.
In the main I agree, its been a great year so far with more to come. War Of The Planet of the Apes doing poorly domestically baffles me, as its the best movie of the year so far imo. Then there is Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Split, It, John Wick 2 (though I preferred the original personally) and a few others I didn't get the chance to see like Get Out.

Then we have Blade Runner, Ragnorak, Justice League and Star Wars to come.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Wonder Woman-9(6)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(7)It-8(8)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(9)John Wick 2-8(10)Split-8(11)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(12)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(13)Alien Covenant-7(14)Ghost In The Shell-7(15)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(16)The Dark Tower-4(17)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #257
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

So far, this year has great for superhero/Comic book movies both for American (Homecoming is great, Guardians Remix was great, Logan was great) and Japan (i'm very satisfied with Gintama, JoJo Bizzare Adventure, and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Movie) .... but if I have to choose what movie get overrated, I'd choose Wonder Woman, which I finally saw a week ago

Before i see the movie, the hype of this movie outside where I live is huge, it get a lot of Praise from a lot of fans here too...and i was excited to see it.

It is not a bad movie at all, but it is not great either... after I watched it, my first reaction is so-so, not getting blow up or something... especially the scene No Man Land which gain my interest after i read page after page in Marvel vs DC thread... but after I watch it, I thought "Is that it?" It was Not a bad moment but also not a great defining moment also (If i choose the great defining character moment, Luke's "Never, I'm never turn to the dark side, I am a Jedi like my father before me" or Cap's "Price of Freedom" was more better a lot.

Ps: I used to think that first Guardians of the Galaxy movie is overrated but along with times, i grew to love it even more, especially the ending, and the main theme is better every time i hear it.

Now, I'm very excited also with the rest of the movie which will be release for the rest of the year (Thor Ragnarok, Justice League, Full Metal Alchemist, and The Last Jedi)

A Idol fan (Nogizaka 46, Keyakizaka 46)
A Marvel fan (Thor, Steve Rogers, Kamala Khan)
A Tokusatsu fan (Space Sheriff Sharivan, Kamen Rider BLACK RX, Samurai Sentai Shinkenger)
MarvelFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #258
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I tend not to like YouTube videos for modern movie reviews. They are either somewhat glossy and not very in-depth in their criticism (although I find Jeremy Jahns entertaining t watch) or they're 40 minutes long, trenchant, and sometimes nitpicky. I still tend to prefer print voices.

With that said, I do enjoy some of the video essayists who do less reviews than overviews on the genre or geek genres as a whole. Lindsay Ellis, Patrick H. Willems, and Nerd Writer are all very smart and really make me think, even when I disagree with them.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #259
sycamore
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Good Movies 2016 -- Captain America Civil War. That's it.

Good Movies 2017 -- Logan, Wonder Woman, Spiderman HC, Dunkirk so far. Blade Runner 2049 and the Last Jedi on their way.

Hardly been a bad year for movies, especially compared to last year.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #260
mclay18
Side-Kick

A lot of Marvel's recent output is overrated, and while I watch most of them theatrically, they don't have me anticipating the sequel or the Blu-ray/DVD release. Both GOTG films have underwhelmed me, while Doctor Strange was 'meh' (surprised they haven't greenlit a sequel for that one yet). And compared to how good Winter Soldier was, Civil War couldn't compare.

Spider-Man Homecoming was one of the most disappointing MCU films in recent memory, and while it did some things right by not retreading Raimi/Webb territory, the action was mostly disappointing and they laid on the humor too thick. The cast was fantastic and Keaton was the standout. I hope they really step it up with the sequel, stop with the Hughes homages every 15 minutes.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #261
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Homecoming was the worst movie of 2017 that I've seen so far and easily Marvel's worst movie.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:03 AM   #262
Awest66
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
Homecoming was the worst movie of 2017 that I've seen so far and easily Marvel's worst movie.
Have you not seen Iron Man 2?

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #263
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awest66 View Post
You mean that semi-filler movie that did nothing more than change Rhodey's actor and introduce Black Widow? Still more entertaining than the second Thor film.

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #264
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awest66 View Post
I'm actually watching it now. A better movie by far.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote