The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #1001
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
My issue is there's not enough material across the shows to warrant them getting 13 episodes each. It sticks out the most for Luke Cage because it morphs into a completely different story in the last third of the season. DD2 morphed its narrative but at least that narrative change happened a few episodes in giving time for the new story to develop, although even that was a little bumpy also. But this? They essentially crammed in what should have been a second season villain into the last act of the first season. The shows pacing and execution diminished because there wasn't the time to do this change in narrative justice. An 8-10 episode season would have made all the difference.
To me the narrative in Luke Cage changes with the death of Cottonmouth, which is in episode 6. The majority of the season is dedicated to the second villain and that's what I think works less well. That's not an issue of the season being too long though, it's just that the writing for the second story was worse. You saying that they didn't give the new story time to develop rather sounds like having too few episodes rather than too many.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #1002
Flint Marko
teh marvel bias

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I'm not sure that means that much anymore. There's a lot of films in the top of the all time top grossing list that came out during school season.

It's also a pretty common view when you listen to people talking about the business that Apes was seen as an big reason why Homecoming had a 60% second weekend drop. Films tend to make most of their money in the first 2, maybe 3, weeks so having that time to yourself is an advantage. You'll generally see studios trying to get at least two weekends without stiff competition.
Exactly, which is why it's hilarious that someone tried to argue that Homecoming didn't face steeper competition. It's laughably obvious that it did unless we're changing the definition of the word "competition".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Regardless of anyone's understanding of the characters, that's the script she's given.
That was kind of my reaction as well. I can't really blame her for not knowing otherwise because that's the way it was pitched to her.

Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #1003
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread