The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

View Poll Results: Who is the best Boxer of all time?
Mike Tyson 2 5.00%
Muhammad Ali 15 37.50%
Sugar Ray Robinson 5 12.50%
Floyd Mayweather 3 7.50%
Manny Pacquiao 2 5.00%
Jack Dempsey 0 0%
Joe Louis 1 2.50%
Larry Holmes 0 0%
Shane Mosley 0 0%
Lennox Lewis 0 0%
Joe Frazier 0 0%
George Foreman 0 0%
Sonny Liston 0 0%
Rocky Marciano 6 15.00%
Evander Holyfield 1 2.50%
Nikolai Valuev 0 0%
Oscar De La Hoya 0 0%
Roy Jones Jr 1 2.50%
Sugar Ray Leonard 1 2.50%
Other 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #476
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
No!!! Mikey needs to stay at 140 max! All these guys going up in weight to go to 147 is not only crazy but dangerous. As far as Lomo, I think he reminds me of Manny offensively but he's slightly better defensively but that's because Manny's offense was his defense. And I'm just not sold on Lomo because one thing Arum knows how to do is build a star. He did it with Floyd, he did it with Manny, did it with Crawford and he's doing it with Lomo. Just careful planning.
Agreed.

But, if he's going to be considered one of the greats he needs to step up and beat Spence....just joking, but my point all along.

I think a Garcia/Lomachenko fight would be great for the division. Linares? OK. Easter can be thrown in if they want to toss someone into the Lion's den. That guy couldn't hit Lomo unless he was asleep.

EDIT: Watch the fighter and don't pay attention to the sleazy promoters. Arum has nothing to do with how good or bad the fighter is. Trust your own eyes.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #477
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Ok, you are right. Lomo has the potential..........but I'm sorry, I just don't see it in Crawford. He's fighting a certain type of fighter to look good. I think he's going to go out like Bradley who never fought any of the main welterweights because he's tied to Arum. Plus I do think Lomo has the balls to call Arum out, like he did with the Rigo fight. He wanted it and got it. I'm not sure Crawford will do that when it comes to fighting guys like Thurman or Spence.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #478
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Ok, you are right. Lomo has the potential..........but I'm sorry, I just don't see it in Crawford. He's fighting a certain type of fighter to look good. I think he's going to go out like Bradley who never fought any of the main welterweights because he's tied to Arum. Plus I do think Lomo has the balls to call Arum out, like he did with the Rigo fight. He wanted it and got it. I'm not sure Crawford will do that when it comes to fighting guys like Thurman or Spence.
I'm not sure about Crawford either, but I will say something, and I was around the boxing game for quite a long time. Really good, and even not so good, fighters almost ALWAYS think they're going to beat the guy in the opposite corner. You're trained to think that way and if you don't, you're in deep $#!T because you WILL lose. Boxing has so much to do with confidence and it would surprise me if a fighter of Crawford's caliber really thought he couldn't beat the best. After 3 or 4 rounds, the song can change for sure.

The promoter and manager are a different story. It's the fighter's job to train hard, work on the game plan, and know you're going to win. It's the handler's job to pick the right opponents....that doesn't necessarily mean ducking an opponent because you think your guy is going to lose. It's being smart. Sometimes, you think your guy needs a little bit of seasoning and that'll turn into a bigger advantage for him, sometimes taking the risk isn't worth it until you can turn it into a bigger payday, etc. A lot of times, people get accused of ducking because they don't think they can win, but that's not always the case.

Thanks for the Lomo comment. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who goes after people the way he does and still manages to avoid getting tagged and it's not just because he's aggressive (though it helps). He's just an outstanding defensive fighter up close and comes at you from angles that make him difficult to hit. We'll see what happens once/if he really gets tagged by a big hitter.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #479
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

There are some interesting matches coming up. Not so interesting is what is apparently the headliner this weekend. Matthysse is one of those guys I like as a fighter, but I'd really like to see him get out semi-intact. I am going to be keeping a close eye on Linares and Garcia. Can anyone guess why?

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 01-25-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #480
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Weight difference?

Old 01-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #481
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Weight difference?
Possible opponents that Lomo is going to outclass. They (Garcia and Linares) better be VERY careful about going up in weight.

EDIT: I wonder what Rigo has to say about Lomo after their fight. I'm guessing he's not talking trash and is thinking about staying at a comfortable weight. Unless age has caught up to him, he's still one of the best P4P in the business and pretty much the best of 122 or less. Maybe 126.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 01-27-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #482
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

I had to record the fight because I was out last night, but just finished watching both matches.

Linares/Gesta interested me the most. I'd forgotten how quick Linares is and how well he puts his combinations together......when he wants to.....at his best, he would probably be competitive with Lomo. The problem is that he doesn't fight consistently and, frankly, he didn't look THAT great overall. Lomo is WAY too busy for him. The other thing I'd forgotten about is how easily he cuts. That's a big deal and if he gets into the ring against someone who is accurate and throws often, he's going to be lucky to finish the fight. I see Lomo going after his body (and head), slowing him down and I don't think the fight goes more than 10 rounds.

As far as Matthysse goes, my opinion hasn't changed. He needs to get out before he gets hurt. His reflexes look shot to me. If he gets in against a good opponent, he's going to get picked apart. That fight was relatively close after 7 rounds. That says about everything that needs to be said.

EDIT: Seriously, I love Matthysse, but it wouldn't matter what weight he comes in at if they put him into the ring with Lomo. His only chance would be to catch him with a big punch, but, man, he just couldn't pull the trigger. You put him in the ring with a top flight fighter and he's going to get destroyed. I hope to god he retires. Keep him the F away from Spence. I don't think that fight goes 5 rounds. Please stop fighting....

There are some good fighters at 130, but I don't think any of their management teams want anything to do with Lomo. The smart move on their part is to avoid him, wait for him to move up (which seems a foregone conclusion) and then step in against someone you can beat or, at least, have a chance against. I think this is especially true for Gervonta Davis. He might be able to clean up the rest of the division (if he can make the 130 pound limit....if he can't, where's he going to go?) and consider moving up later. He's quick, hits hard, and is only going to get better if he applies himself.

EDIT2: It doesn't appear that ANYONE at 130 wants anything to do with Lomo so he's almost got to move up. The question is "Who is he going to fight next?" Linares and Garcia won't be ready until late in the year so, if it's going to be a title fight, that leaves Easter...he's tall, but if he gets into the ring with Lomo (which I doubt) he's going to get taken apart and his handlers aren't going to let him get within shouting distance of that fight. That leaves the vacant WBO title....I'll bet they throw some sacrificial lamb into the ring and make him the next WBO light weight champ.

Honest Bob will approve......

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 01-29-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #483
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Golovkin vs Canelo 2 confirmed for May 5th.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #484
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Ho ho ho.....Xmas came early for some super feathers.

https://www.thesportsman.com/article...at-lightweight

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #485
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Eh. I see Lomo winning that fight.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #486
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Eh. I see Lomo winning that fight.
I do too, but Linares is a guy with a LOT of talent. He's one of those guys who has very fast hands and throws outstanding combinations. He's not a champ by accident. He threw some eye popping combos against Gesta. I just don't think he's got the motor to stay with Lomo over 12 rounds. He cuts too and when you're in against a guy who is constantly throwing very accurate shots, it's a big downside. He's naturally a bigger guy than Lomo, but I don't think that's going to make too much of a difference. I could see Linares beating Garcia if he kept busy. That would be a good fight.

I wonder if fighters still soak their skin in brine to toughen their skin.....I wonder if that really works.....

www.cloudvistas.com
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #487
Iceman
Infinity War!

Groves vs Eubank Jr on now but my pay-per-view not working.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #488
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

That sucks. I'm waiting on Garcia-Rios.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #489
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah, missed the whole thing. Had to listen to it on radio. ITV Box office is ****ing terrible. Sounds like Groves outboxed Eubank Jr.