The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #901
sweetre15
Positive Page
 
sweetre15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,205
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread



So after taking a break from Batman comics to catch up on my books for other characters, I finally decided to pick up this brick sized comic and start reading and I must say, this book has been a wild ride especially during the portion of book that focuses on Bane’s pursuit of Batman.

So as we learn in the beginning of this comic, Bane was a young child whom seem to only know life as a prisoner from an early age and during that time not only does he adapt to this environment by becoming smarter, stronger and overcoming any fear he had but he even becomes a bit of a folk hero to the prisoners themselves. What’s interesting is that early on, he tends to relate his inner struggles to Bats, which one can assume piques his interest when the time comes and he has decides to take over Gotham/stop the Batman once escaping prison after getting experimented on with the Venom that he becomes dependent on.

Meanwhile, Bruce has been slowly adding wear and tear to his body due to not getting a lot of rest but once he cross paths with Bane, this becomes a major recurring theme. As Bane decides to study Batman, he does so by first sending Killer Croc and a Venom injected Riddler after him before deciding to release the Arkham inmates and arming them with enough weapons to terrorize Gotham. This includes Two-Face, Scarecrow, and The Joker whom even in his depleted state, he takes care of in relatively swift fashion while not arresting the low profile villains. Bruce Wayne knows this is a trap the entire time he’s fighting these villains and he knows that Bane is behind it but plays to what Bane expects of him regardless solely on the ground of keeping the city safe. However it’s once Batman is at the very end of his rope and tries to go home to rest, he’s surprised with the sight of Bane at his Home due to the fact that Bane was able to put two and two together and figure out that Bruce is Batman. Bane beats Batman in what was essentially a squash match and breaks his back to truly end him.

However what comes next is Bruce Wayne appointing Jean Paul Valley/Azrael to be his successor and while he proves to be sufficiently capable, it’s when Scarecrow uses the fear toxin, and it recovers the indoctrination called the system that causes Az-Bats to no longer be able to control his more violent inhibitions. However what comes after that is a more notable descent into violent methods to take back the city, less respect for Bruce Wayne or Robin’s wishes as he feels Batman’s methods are outdated. Along with his own adjustments to the costume, he manages to find out Bane’s addiction to Venom and despite this, he beats Bane and stops short of killing him before Tim or Gordon could act against him.

The way the story is presented even this early on seems like a well crafted and developed swipe at the dark and gritty bandwagon that dominated the comic industry in the 90s especially with the way Az-Bats changes his Methodology as Batman.

Nonetheless, it’s a highly entertaining storyline centered not only on how one of Bruce’s major miscalculations ended his career but the problem with a psychotic Batman as well.

Despite the story slightly losing steam when focused on Azrael, it’s still a 9.3/10 overall.

Thoughts on this book?

sweetre15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #902
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
Anybody reading Nightwing the New Order? I just read the first issue and I'm intrigued. Seems kind of like what Injustice should've been, introducing ambiguity and moral dilemmas rather than a hero turning heartless despot. I'll be watching it closely. Hopefully it doesn't go off the rails.
Haven't even heard of it.

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #903
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post


So after taking a break from Batman comics to catch up on my books for other characters, I finally decided to pick up this brick sized comic and start reading and I must say, this book has been a wild ride especially during the portion of book that focuses on Bane’s pursuit of Batman.

So as we learn in the beginning of this comic, Bane was a young child whom seem to only know life as a prisoner from an early age and during that time not only does he adapt to this environment by becoming smarter, stronger and overcoming any fear he had but he even becomes a bit of a folk hero to the prisoners themselves. What’s interesting is that early on, he tends to relate his inner struggles to Bats, which one can assume piques his interest when the time comes and he has decides to take over Gotham/stop the Batman once escaping prison after getting experimented on with the Venom that he becomes dependent on.

Meanwhile, Bruce has been slowly adding wear and tear to his body due to not getting a lot of rest but once he cross paths with Bane, this becomes a major recurring theme. As Bane decides to study Batman, he does so by first sending Killer Croc and a Venom injected Riddler after him before deciding to release the Arkham inmates and arming them with enough weapons to terrorize Gotham. This includes Two-Face, Scarecrow, and The Joker whom even in his depleted state, he takes care of in relatively swift fashion while not arresting the low profile villains. Bruce Wayne knows this is a trap the entire time he’s fighting these villains and he knows that Bane is behind it but plays to what Bane expects of him regardless solely on the ground of keeping the city safe. However it’s once Batman is at the very end of his rope and tries to go home to rest, he’s surprised with the sight of Bane at his Home due to the fact that Bane was able to put two and two together and figure out that Bruce is Batman. Bane beats Batman in what was essentially a squash match and breaks his back to truly end him.

However what comes next is Bruce Wayne appointing Jean Paul Valley/Azrael to be his successor and while he proves to be sufficiently capable, it’s when Scarecrow uses the fear toxin, and it recovers the indoctrination called the system that causes Az-Bats to no longer be able to control his more violent inhibitions. However what comes after that is a more notable descent into violent methods to take back the city, less respect for Bruce Wayne or Robin’s wishes as he feels Batman’s methods are outdated. Along with his own adjustments to the costume, he manages to find out Bane’s addiction to Venom and despite this, he beats Bane and stops short of killing him before Tim or Gordon could act against him.

The way the story is presented even this early on seems like a well crafted and developed swipe at the dark and gritty bandwagon that dominated the comic industry in the 90s especially with the way Az-Bats changes his Methodology as Batman.

Nonetheless, it’s a highly entertaining storyline centered not only on how one of Bruce’s major miscalculations ended his career but the problem with a psychotic Batman as well.

Despite the story slightly losing steam when focused on Azrael, it’s still a 9.3/10 overall.

Thoughts on this book?
My thoughts: The story was very interesting until Jean-Paul took over. Still haven't finished the entire trilogy.

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #904
Babillygunn
Tag team champion
 
Babillygunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 564
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
Haven't even heard of it.
I hadnt either until I saw issue 1 this weekend at my local comics shop. (Sidewalk sale Saturday with my two boys! Good times!) Being a sucker for a good Nightwing story, I picked it up. I've since read a digital copy of issue 2, and it is pretty solid. Basic premise:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Story is narrated by the son of Dick and Starfire. In the future, after Bruce's death, there's a huge battle between super-powered heroes and villains that basically rages through Metropolis for four days. The conflict ends when Dick uses a weapon that de-powers aliens and metahumans. After this, Dick is touted a hero and statues are erected in his honor. He is appointed Commissioner of Gotham and tasked with enforcing strict no powers laws including forcing use of power inhibiting drugs and/or placing metas on whom the drugs don't work in stasis until a solution is found.

All of this is turned on its head when Dick's son exhibits powers similar to his mother's and which cannot be suppressed.

__________________
"I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence...but I can't feed on the powerless when my cup's already overfilled."
Babillygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #905
Babillygunn
Tag team champion
 
Babillygunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 564
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
Haven't even heard of it.
By the way, I just saw the reviews that have come out for this. A lot of 10/10s. I read a few who have said it's the best #1 of 2017 and "if you aren't reading this, you should be". I concur.

__________________
"I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence...but I can't feed on the powerless when my cup's already overfilled."
Babillygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #906
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
By the way, I just saw the reviews that have come out for this. A lot of 10/10s. I read a few who have said it's the best #1 of 2017 and "if you aren't reading this, you should be". I concur.
Oh nice, I'll check it out when it's released as a trade.

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #907
sweetre15
Positive Page
 
sweetre15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,205
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Slowly trying to work my way through Knightquest so I can be through with this portion of the story where Az-Bats is controlling the city. I won’t say it’s bad but definitely a few notches down from when the story was focusing on Bruce Wayne. I’m at the point where he’s implied that he’s fantasizing about Catwoman.

sweetre15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #908
Babillygunn
Tag team champion
 
Babillygunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 564
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
Slowly trying to work my way through Knightquest so I can be through with this portion of the story where Az-Bats is controlling the city. I won’t say it’s bad but definitely a few notches down from when the story was focusing on Bruce Wayne. I’m at the point where he’s implied that he’s fantasizing about Catwoman.
That's a rough stretch and it's pretty dated. Abattoir is a despicable villain as well. But he doesn't look physically like a threat. He looks like a villainous Sam Kinnison.

__________________
"I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence...but I can't feed on the powerless when my cup's already overfilled."
Babillygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #909
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post
Slowly trying to work my way through Knightquest so I can be through with this portion of the story where Az-Bats is controlling the city. I won’t say it’s bad but definitely a few notches down from when the story was focusing on Bruce Wayne. I’m at the point where he’s implied that he’s fantasizing about Catwoman.
Same issues I had with the story. It's tough to read when Azreal takes over.

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #910
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,427
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
Damion Scott was the first artist on the title, and Pop Mahn finished it in its last collection.

Both artists are extremely stylistic in their own ways. Personally, I liked the art; it has a cartoony expressiveness and a kinetic feel to the composition that kind of blends well with the kind "anime meets Jackie Chan movie" feel. Plus, I tend to think the entire Cassandra Cain series has good-to-great writing milking a high concept for all it's worth, and I'll take a well written and risk-ily drawn comic any day over fabulous "house style" art work and poor writing, AKA the Jim Lee effect.

Part of that's just simple taste and reading style. I've read books and continued to buy them long after I've come to the conclusion that the art isn't good, and I've dropped books like they were on fire if the writer sucks, no matter how well the artist executes the poor ideas. It may be a symptom of being weaned onto DC Comics during the late 90's, when Marvel's marketing helmed collapse meant that DC had all the writers for a while and simply matched them with stylistic artists.
I actually decided to keep reading. The writing gets better after a few issues, thus making the art bearable. I have to admit there are some cool moments in this run, especially the part where Cassie rushes a gunner in order to save the life of some schmuck.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #911
NDX
Walking with Elias.
 
NDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: King of Queens.
Posts: 24,941
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

If anyone is a fan of Luther Strode, the HC collection is a nice piece of work. Picked it up at NYCC and it's well worth the money.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #912
CaptainWagner
Just Flying Around Queens
 
CaptainWagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,370
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
Damion Scott was the first artist on the title, and Pop Mahn finished it in its last collection.

Both artists are extremely stylistic in their own ways. Personally, I liked the art; it has a cartoony expressiveness and a kinetic feel to the composition that kind of blends well with the kind "anime meets Jackie Chan movie" feel. Plus, I tend to think the entire Cassandra Cain series has good-to-great writing milking a high concept for all it's worth, and I'll take a well written and risk-ily drawn comic any day over fabulous "house style" art work and poor writing, AKA the Jim Lee effect.

Part of that's just simple taste and reading style. I've read books and continued to buy them long after I've come to the conclusion that the art isn't good, and I've dropped books like they were on fire if the writer sucks, no matter how well the artist executes the poor ideas. It may be a symptom of being weaned onto DC Comics during the late 90's, when Marvel's marketing helmed collapse meant that DC had all the writers for a while and simply matched them with stylistic artists.
I've read through the first TPB so far and love it. The art is definitely unique, but I'm on board with it. Comic shouldn't all look alike, and I have a pretty wide range of taste for art in series. It very rarely can take me out of a series. The few exceptions are the ridiculous 90's stylings and, most recently, the current Generation X title.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:15 AM   #913
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
If anyone is a fan of Luther Strode, the HC collection is a nice piece of work. Picked it up at NYCC and it's well worth the money.
Haven't gotten around to that series yet. Is it something I should dig up right now and read?

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion

Last edited by MMMMM...Pancakes; 10-08-2017 at 01:45 AM.
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #914
killface
Side-Kick
 
killface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,195
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

has anybody read the preview for the watchmen sequel?

i was initially against the idea of a sequel but after reading the preview, it just might turn out to be good.

killface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #915
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 11,819
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
If anyone is a fan of Luther Strode, the HC collection is a nice piece of work. Picked it up at NYCC and it's well worth the money.
Cool. Lost track after the first mini, but I'll have to grab that collection eventually.

__________________
All Lives Matter is right up there with Let Them Eat Cake. --Samax Amen

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #916
Babillygunn
Tag team champion
 
Babillygunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 564
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Anyone ever read Batman: The Gates of Gotham?

__________________
"I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence...but I can't feed on the powerless when my cup's already overfilled."
Babillygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #917
CLARKY
Side-Kick
 
CLARKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: france
Posts: 2,779
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
Anyone ever read Batman: The Gates of Gotham?
I did. While not being the best comicbook out there, I found it good. Especially since it brings you an history about gotham and IMO it gives a bigger scope to what is happening. I'd say it centered on the city itself and its wealthy families who made it what it is.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #918
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

I found that Space Riders book some of you have been raving about at Half Price Books.

MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #919
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,427
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

I started reading Batman & Robin Eternal today; wow what a great book! I'm loving both the art and the plot so far. It's really cool seeing all the Batfamily together like this.
A question though: this seems to be a follow-up to Batman Eternal, should I read that one before continuing reading this?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #920
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Anyone know the current status of Five Ghosts?

MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #921
geetard
Rebirth
 
geetard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 8,793
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Wow, it's on hiatus? I read all 3-4 volumes that are currently out. Can't remember much from them but I thought the series was over.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #922
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Wow, it's on hiatus? I read all 3-4 volumes that are currently out. Can't remember much from them but I thought the series was over.
I have three volumes and I don't think the story concluded. Didn't seem like it at least.

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #923
NDX
Walking with Elias.
 
NDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: King of Queens.
Posts: 24,941
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
I found that Space Riders book some of you have been raving about at Half Price Books.
Worth picking up for the art alone. Bought Tarantula from the artist at NYCC Thursday.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #924
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL
 
MMMMM...Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 8,433
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
Worth picking up for the art alone. Bought Tarantula from the artist at NYCC Thursday.
Art looks great.

__________________
Bears--Blackhawks--Bulls--Cubs

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #925
sweetre15
Positive Page
 
sweetre15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,205
Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

I’m hearing really positive things about Sean Gordon Murphy’s White Knight book for Batman, have any of you read it?

sweetre15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.