The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

View Poll Results: Who's the MVP of the Defenders?
Luke Cage 5 4.81%
Jessica Jones 37 35.58%
Iron Fist 11 10.58%
Daredevil 51 49.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #76
Flint Marko
teh marvel bias

Default Re: MVP of the Defenders?

Think I'm gonna give it to JJ.

Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #77
Set
Side-Kick

Jessica got to use both her detective skills and her fists, so she got to contribute on multiple levels. She even lampshaded her own lack of fighting skills, and how she was the only one left who didn't know karate, which was fun.
Luke's 'Hero of Harlem' status wasn't terribly relevant, and his connection to Misty mostly consisted of doing everything in his power to get her fired, and then possibly killed, by refusing to tell her anything. He got to punch a lot of face, but felt underutilized.
Matt had a nice courtroom scene at the beginning, but it wasn't particularly relevant, and neither was his legal mind, for that matter. He got to punch face *gloriously,* but, again, only half of him (the Devil of Hell's Kitchen half) really contributed to the narrative.
Danny tried to drag his Rand ties into it by barging into the Midland conference room, and bring both halves of his life to bear on the matter, but, sigh. Danny. He darn near handed victory to the bad-guys, more than once. I love the comic book character, but this Danny needs a spanking. Or perhaps some mood-stabilizing meds.
Matt gave better fight-scenes, and his emotional ties to Elektra made it tense, but Jessica felt more like an MVP to me, since she brought both real world skills and Fighty-McPunchaLot to the table.

Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #78
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!

Jessica easily.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #79
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post
Jessica got to use both her detective skills and her fists, so she got to contribute on multiple levels. She even lampshaded her own lack of fighting skills, and how she was the only one left who didn't know karate, which was fun.
Luke's 'Hero of Harlem' status wasn't terribly relevant, and his connection to Misty mostly consisted of doing everything in his power to get her fired, and then possibly killed, by refusing to tell her anything. He got to punch a lot of face, but felt underutilized.
Matt had a nice courtroom scene at the beginning, but it wasn't particularly relevant, and neither was his legal mind, for that matter. He got to punch face *gloriously,* but, again, only half of him (the Devil of Hell's Kitchen half) really contributed to the narrative.
Danny tried to drag his Rand ties into it by barging into the Midland conference room, and bring both halves of his life to bear on the matter, but, sigh. Danny. He darn near handed victory to the bad-guys, more than once. I love the comic book character, but this Danny needs a spanking. Or perhaps some mood-stabilizing meds.
Matt gave better fight-scenes, and his emotional ties to Elektra made it tense, but Jessica felt more like an MVP to me, since she brought both real world skills and Fighty-McPunchaLot to the table.
I loved JJ, but she didn't do a whole lot with her fists or her powers apart from the odd knock out punch. If we judge Matt's non fighting stuff as weaker here then I'd say the same for JJ's fighting. And I'm not saying she isn't a worthy MVP, just bringing that up.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #80
javonstokess
Side-Kick

I think Luke Cage, to me, was MVP.

He was the most level headed of the bunch and, many times, called out the importance of what they were doing moreso than even IF (who, when you boil it down, is still out for revenge).

Luke called out everyone on their dumb@$$ery and was right.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #81
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Daredevil. He was the leader and consciousness of the team.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #82
scarlet-witch
Stormborn

Matt is always the MVP. I liked Jessica and Danny far better in this than I did in their solo shows. Especially Danny (Not that I disliked Jessica as a character, but I didn't like her show)

"Apes. Together. Strong."
scarlet-witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #83
Harry_Lime02
This is the girl

Jessica, most evidently in the first couple of episodes when they were all separated.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #84
JayTrain

Easily Daredevil. I really don't get all the love for Jessica; a few snarky comments and references to her alcoholism and she's amazing?

JayTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #85
Darepool
King of Cinema

She is amazing, but it's DD all the way.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #86
JayTrain

What does she do that's amazing? I'm really not trying to rip on her, but I really want to know what everyone sees in her...seemingly I'm the only one that does NOT think she's awesome; indicative that there's something strange going on in my head lol

JayTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #87
Darepool
King of Cinema

She's broken and beautiful, it's her FU attitude & her biting (funny) sarcasm. She's a functioning alcoholic who kicks ninja a$$. I think people respond to all this which is why they like her so much. The other Defenders just don't know what to do with her. She's the unpredictable wildcard. Overall, a sexy hot mess.

If we're going strictly story based, then she is far from the MVP. That would be DD and/or IF.

Last edited by Darepool; 08-26-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Darepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #88
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTrain View Post
What does she do that's amazing? I'm really not trying to rip on her, but I really want to know what everyone sees in her...seemingly I'm the only one that does NOT think she's awesome; indicative that there's something strange going on in my head lol

On the surface she looks one-note to some. But there is something about Ritter's performance that easily makes her the best out of all of them even if she had very little involved to the story.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #89
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by javonstokess View Post
I think Luke Cage, to me, was MVP.

He was the most level headed of the bunch and, many times, called out the importance of what they were doing moreso than even IF (who, when you boil it down, is still out for revenge).

Luke called out everyone on their dumb@$$ery and was right.
That's how I felt as I watched the story unfold. Luke was the only one to keep his emotions in check in both dealing with his new running buddies and staying focused on the end game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTrain View Post
There's nothing wrong with your perception of her. It's obvious that she's being written as the most reluctant hero of the four. She doesn't even seem to have much enthusiasm for being a detective right now. Watching her use booze as her main coping mechanism was only funny for a short time. Now it's pathetic, especially for a super hero, and the emo teen attitude is wearing thin. She's clearly being set up for the cathartic moment where she releases her emotional baggage and stops wallowing in her myopic sadness.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #90
SwiftFox
Side-Kick

It came down to DD or Jessica Jones. I went Jessica Jones because of her last minute save with the elevator and her just keeping it real with all her snark XD

Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #91
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan

Jessica. Ritter is just awesome lol

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2) The Avengers: Age of Ultron 3) Man of Steel 4) Guardians of the Galaxy 5) The Dark Knight 6) Doctor Strange 7) Wonder Woman 8) Captain America: Civil War 9) The Dark Knight Rises 10) The Avengers 11) Thor: The Dark World 12) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 13) Iron Man 14) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 15) X-Men: Days of Future Past 16) Thor 17) Batman Begins 18) Logan 19) Ant-Man 20) Iron Man 2 21) Suicide Squad
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 AM   #92
KevTravels
Side-Kick

i hope we get more scenes of JJ kicking some major butt

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #93
Brawl
Side-Kick

I'm sorry I don't see the appeal of JJ at all, Rosario beat her hands down acting. She's not attractive at all. She always looks pissed off and self destructive. She can't cant get her **** together.... I'm sorry don't see the appeal

Brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #94
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawl View Post
I'm sorry I don't see the appeal of JJ at all, Rosario beat her hands down acting. She's not attractive at all. She always looks pissed off and self destructive. She can't cant get her **** together.... I'm sorry don't see the appeal
Attractive? Always pissed off and self-destructive? She's not perfect? I love how 2 out of 3 of these can be applied to all of the Defenders and you only use it to bring her down.

Daredevil - Not Attractive - Always pissed off/self-destructive - Not perfect
Luke Cage - Not Attractive - Always pissed off/self-destructive - Not perfect
Iron Fist - Not Attractive - Always pissed off/self-destructive - Not perfect

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #95
Brawl
Side-Kick

I posted earlier that that they were all pretty emotionally ****ed up except LC. DD was super emo and IF was downright bratty. I only talked about JJ becaue of the amount of positive reviews for her seemed wildly out place

Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #96
Brawl
Side-Kick

I thought the better characters portrayed was actually Night Nurse, collene wing and Misty, all seemed strong and relatable.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #97
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Eh, Luke Cage is very seldom either genuinely pissed off, or self-destructive. He's the cool, calm, collected one of the bunch.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #98
Iron_Stark
That's a one-off

Daredevil and Jessica

Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #99
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Yeah, had to vote for Daredevil, but felt Jessica Jones was a close 2nd.

Surfer

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote