View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #354
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
WRT SHW, it's not the same as stepping up 13 to 28 lbs (going from Welter to Middle or Light Heavy. I think people sort of max out when they get over 200+. A solid 220 isn't at that great of a disadvantage against a guy going 250 (Unless you are a TREMENDOUS 250 like the Klitschkos are). I could see a heavyweight like a Joe Frazier (who weighed in at 204 in his prime) knocking the living $#!t out of a very good fighter who goes 250 (he did it).

I'm not saying there are no advantages to being bigger, but I don't think it's as pronounced when you get into the 200+ range. Plus, how many really good fighters are you going to find at 250+? Carrying around the extra weight is also a bit of a burden. There are diminishing returns on extra weight IMO, but I'm sort of an old school traditionalist and think the Super/Jr classifications were established for one reason only.....money.
IDK man. The reason Doentay has advantages is because of his reach. Put him in there with someone his height, like an AJ and the weight thing shows up huge. Wilder has been wobbled before(would't be shocked even Stiverne wins honestly)but I do think it does make a difference even at that weight and size. That's like Kobe fighting Dwight Howard. Sure they are big but look at the muscle difference.